Temperature warning light on Fabia 1.4 8v

Temperature warning light on Fabia 1.4 8v

Hi,

I am new to this forum, but I now own a Skoda Fabia 1.4MPI 8v. On cold mornings the red temperature warning light and "beeper" comes on. The coolant level is fine in the expansion tank. On warmer days there is no warning light. How can I sort this intermittent problem out? Also I have had some engine idle speed problems and a friend told me that this could be related to a sensor some where as well. Can you describe what I need to do to solve my problems. Thank You.

Right enough, the sensor for the coolant tank is built-in and can't be replaced separately. Although a piece of wire shorting ot out is an effective work-around until you can get it sorted (provided you check the level regularly by eye! :thumbup: )

The sensor you refer to is the coolant temperature sensor; a guide for the replacement of which is here:

Clicky

Best practice on the 1.4 MPi is to replace the thermostat body at the same time (they can be bought together as a pack), although when I did this on my wife's, I couldn't find a better way of doing it than what's in the Haynes manual, so you're best to get hold of one of these if you want to do the job. It's not essential to do both together, however the 'stat bodies have a limited life (6 or 7 years max IME), so it's worth doing if you can...

There are other things that can cause rough running, however, so as geordie_21 says, have a bot of a search around to see if you can find exactly what's up... :thumbup:

, however the 'stat bodies have a limited life (6 or 7 years max IME), so it's worth doing if you can

Yep , mine lasted about 6.5 years before it needed replaced (due to the "needle taking ages to climb up the gauge" problem)

I had the same issue on my Fabia with the temperature beeper. Its also a 1.4 8v and it turned out to be the water pump

Are you sure? If you had your water pump replaced, I have a feeling that your light and beeper would have been coming on because your car was overheating, rather than coming on the moment you start the car on a cold morning, which is what's being dicussed here...??? Your car couldn't and wouldn't overheat instantly - in fact you could run an engine for a limited time without any coolant (or forever if it's an old Beetle or 911 :D )