Driver needed for E System EI 3103 laptop

Timmyboy

Hi all,

Advice needed please - got an E System laptop recently from a friend with a knacked hard drive.

Replaced the drive and installed XP (originaly came with Vista but specs are not ideal).

Got everything up and running except the sound card is showing as an unrecognised PCI device and everything I have tried to install, driver wise, is not working - including the original drivers shipped with the laptop (both Vista and XP versions were included, the XP one does not work).

From what I have read this laptop has the realtec high definition audio hardwear - the driver shipped with the laptop matches this and I've tried the most up to date driver I can find on the internet, all to no avail :mad:

Any advice welcome!! Without sounding like an ****, I consider myself towards the higher end of the technical scale so have tried all obvious things I can think of....

Go to device mamanger. Right-click the device, choose proerties, then details, and you'll see a string like this:

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_167B&SUBSYS_280C103C&REV_02\4&27454EAD&0&00E5

Look for the numbers that follow VEN_ and DEV_. (The above is for my Broadcom network card, which is 14E4 and 167B)

go to PCIDatabase, and search it to identify the hardware. That should help you find some drivers.

Ei 3103 uses a Realtek ALC High Def audio card. I have tried finding XP drivers for it before and there does not seem to be one in existence that works :(

Just a thought- I encountered something like that the other day and there was a MS fix for high-def audio

[googles]

Here you go:

MS KB Article

The fix is included in SP3, it seems, so I bet you haven't SP3'd the laptop. The Realtek drivers won't work without it or the hofix. It had me scratching my head for a while, with a Lenovo Thinkpad, IIRC.

CJB you are the man! (or woman).

I had an early RC of SP3 installed which didn't include support for HD audio. There is a knowledge base article and hotfix to fix it, but can not be run when SP3 has been applied and there's no way to remove mine as it was part of the Windows build.

Thankfully some clever peeps have hacked the hotfix designed to run on SP2 so it will run on SP3 - we now have sound after 6 hours of messing around!

Thanks so much for your help - this was driving me nuts :)

CJB you are the man! (or woman).

Thanks so much for your help - this was driving me nuts :)

Man, I can assure you. Glad to help. Like I said, I spent a good amount of time puzzling over it.