Skoda Favorit Rally Car - engine upgrade

cloggy-jasiri

Hi Folks,

My name is Herman, a new recruit to the forum looking for some guidance as to what the best power unit to use.

I am about to upgrade my LHD Favorit road rally car from a carburettor version of the 1.3 having just knocked out the big ends on the Preston. I want to upgrade the car to something with a bit more grunt and fuel injection. What are the implications of going to a 1.3MPi, 1.6 MPi, from a Felicia or a 1.4 8 or 16v from a Fabai, VW or similar.

Clearly there is no loom in the current car for an ECU so a donor car will have to be bought (i.e. running damaged repairable).

Has anyone done something similar and what recommendations do you have, and just a few questions:-

1 - How easy is it to integrate the loom(s) of the three options?

2 - Is it necessary to upgrade the gearbox / drive train for the 1.6 or 1.4 variants?

3 - Will the 1.4 fit onto 1.3 5 speed box?

4 - Are engine mounting mods required for the 1.6 or 1.4?

5 - Car is prior to CAT being a requirement, will later engines with CAT operate OK if they are removed, or will it 'confuse' the ECU and settings?

We have access to welding gear etc and are not phased by taking on tasks like this. We have transplanted Ford Pinto engine / gerabox with electronic ignition into a Marina and changed the back axle to Lada with coil springs and 5 links.

Thanks for your help :thumbup:

Hi and welcome :thumbup:

Your question is best suited to the Favorit/Felicia forum section. I think if you use search there may be answers regarding transplanting the specific engine types already.