Weird Gearbox problem

Merry Christmas to all Briskodians,

My 97 Felly gearbox is acting weird. Sometimes especially in the morning i can not engage any forward gears or reverse gear and when i try to select any gear, the gearbox sounds like trying to engage without stepping on the clutch pedal.

In other times, it is quite sticky to select the gear and for most of the time, the gearbox is silky smooth as if it is new !!

The cable is fine and i have changed the clutch plate and disc and bearing last May and i just covered around 5000 miles since then.

Can anyone guess what is going wrong?

Sounds like the clutch is dragging sometimes. have you checked the cable adjustment and the release mechanism (all the way, from the pedal itself to the operating arm on the gearbox)?

what about gearbox oil ?

SAE EP80 and 2.4 liter.

that was my guess too, mine has a funny sound in the morning and is hard to shift 2nd gear, all due to a mechanic putting in about a quart of w190 oil :S (witch in my experiment i'm going to change to 75W90, and the engine oil to 15W40 on maintenance)

thing that made me think of the oil was the "in the morning" remark if not the oil, then the cable is too loose but he would feel it in his feet (there is a part in the travel where you feel the clutch engaging)

w190 gerarbox oil :confused:

its like honey i think :D drain it, it may cause serious problems its way too viscous for this car.

my mistake, its 140, but yes, is too rich, lucky it has 1.4 liters of the regular

I checked the oil level and it is ok and i use Castrol EP 90 (API GL4) gearbox oil.

Is it a problem related to fork or clutch pad or disc? I am really confused and i do not want to take out the gearbox before i know the reason.

Please help

Got to admit it does sound like clutch drag in the morning. Whats happening is the clutch pressure plate is releasing the clutch but the friction disc is not sliding away from the flywheel or pressure plate. Unfortunately the only cure will be remove the box and grease the splines on the gearbox input shaft, you don't need to remove the clutch again so should align okay when refitting. You should use a high temp grease, but not copperslip, and not too much or the grease will get on the friction plate. Sorry but hope this helps;)