bulbs

aj1983

can the hid bulbs be change for new ones on the unit as mine are nearing there life expectancy.

and does a vibrating clutch pedal on set off mean thrust bearing and clutch are on the way out if so BUGGER

mine just dont seem to be as bright as everyone elses thats all i have a mate who works in motor trade he says he can get me some 6000k bulbs but wasnt sure what sort they are he seems to think they are d1s bulbs .

If you are after brightness (rather than a blue tint) then 4300K are the ones to go for, these are the brightest you can get, higher than this they go from a blue tint right up to a purple light, neither of which will give you a better or brighter light.

BTW OEM are all around 4300K.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got an '02 Elegance and the headlights are complete rubbish, Its like driving around on sidelights. I dont know if they are HID or Zenon or something else, they are definitely not "Standard" type incandescent bulbs, i wish they were, everyones lights are brighter than mine, its a bit dangerous at times with oncoming traffic.

Does anyone know what i can do to make them brighter?

How long are they supposed to last anyway?

Is GSF the place to get better ones from?

How easy are they to take out and check the wattage (or whatever the rating of them is)?

Please help before i put it in a ditch i cant see.

Billy, first i would check they are correctly set up, the Superb headlights are not great as standard IMO, and poorly set up ones (like mine were when i bought the car) are awful.

Do you have the headlight leveling thumb wheel next to the headlight switch? if so you have std halogens fitted (all Superb's have projector headlights fitted - thats the 'eyeball' you can see in the headlight).

You can either fit some decent (H7) dip beam bulbs in Philips are pretty good or go the whole hog and fit an aftermarket HID kit.

The Philips route will give you pretty good lights, the HID route will be 10 times better. If you decide to go HID, 4300K are the brightest & whitest you can get (OEM are 4300K).

I fitted:

H7 Philips vision plus 55w bulbs that are meant to give a 50% increase in output in the dip beam, and

H3 Philips premium bulbs with a 30% increase in the main beam

I ran them like that for about 6 months and they were a lot better than the std bulbs, but not as good as i felt they could be so i went for some HID (xenons) i paid £65 inc p&p just over a year ago and they have been faultless.

The price you have found on ebay is about right, some people do deals where you get free sidelights thrown in - the Philips bluevision are the best sidelight bulbs IMO, although the bulb has a blue coating on them they actually give off a nice crisp white light (no blue tint at all) which is what i was looking for.

If you do buy HID's then get them from a UK company so if you have a problem it is easy to get the parts replaced (mine came with a 2 yr warranty)

I got it from a group buy on uk-mkivs, i think you will struggle to get one for that sort of money now? unless its from ebay.

Quite a few people have bought some of the newer higher wattage HID kits (std are 35w) but there seems to be some issues with radio interference and them flickering, so personally i wouldn't go that far.