New Octavia 2.0FSI

My advice would be to buy the 140tdi. Loads more torque, and chippable to an easy 200bhp. Drives beautifully, too. The 230lb/ft of torque (standard) makes overtaking a breeze, and it revs so quickly & smoothly that you'd be hard pressed to guess that it is a diesel.

And don't start me on mk5 Golfs. Don't see how in a logical world they would sell one of them. They drive identically to the Octy, the dash is all but the same, they have half the rear seat/boot space, cost at least 4k more. And for what? A badge the guarantees inferior build quality, snooty dealers and more expensive servicing. Oh, the doors make a slightly nicer 'clunk'. Not worth it, IMHO.

And don't start me on mk5 Golfs. Don't see how in a logical world they would sell one of them. They drive identically to the Octy' date=' the dash is all but the same, they have half the rear seat/boot space, cost at least 4k more. And for what? A badge the guarantees inferior build quality, snooty dealers and more expensive servicing. Oh, the doors make a slightly nicer 'clunk'. Not worth it, IMHO.[/quote']

I agree with your Diesel statement however, you'd still need to spec the Octy up to match the Golf. If you take the SE Golf and Oct Ambient for example ESP, curtain airbags, rain wipers, auto dim mirror, cruise control (not an option), Alloys, light assistance, comfort seats (not an option) need to be added to spec the Octy to the Golf. Bear in mind that some standard fit equipment on the Golf will not available on the Octy these extras amount to

..Apart from the fact that the Golf is half the size of the Octy, and I'm not interested in most of the stuff that's 'missing'.

Oh, and the only Golf available with the 2.0 TDi engine is the GT, which comes in at

:shhh: Not with the likes of Johnny Vaughan , who has rather belatedly found out about the VRs estate , and suggests that there is now a waiting list for the current model

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.jhtml?xml=/motoring/2004/08/27/emrport28.xml

The usual eulogies we have come to accept , but the startling fact that he lost more in one year , in depreciation , on his previous estate , than the VRs cost was the point of the exersize ! ....... wasn't he the guy whose dog " Lucky " previously wrote off his Range Rover ?

• 10 months later...
Just been looking at the new Octavia website. Does anyone have details of 0-60, top speed, fuel economy of the 2.0FSI, website says figures are not available. Sounds promising with 150bhp and I'd bet its 5-6K cheaper than an equivalent Golf. :thumbup:

I'm picking up a New 2.0 FSI Elegance Hatch this p.m. I drove a vRS hatch till now [which I loved, and it never had a thing go wrong], so I will be losing a bit of top speed etc. [that I never use anyway]. But the FSI is torquier low down, being non turbo, and still does 132 mph [whenever!] and 0-62 in just over 9 sec. Oddly, the brochure states the FSI is a 2 valve per cylinder engine. NOPE - mistake in the brochure, it is a 16 valve engine with VVT on the intake side.

But the main points I'd make are these: The new gearbox is a far slicker change, and 6 speeds of course. The handling and steering are on a different planet to the old harsh and understeering vRS. This is apparently due to the inherited latest Golf multilink suspension etc.

There is noticeably more rear seat room but still the huge boot. The driver's seat just kind of hugs you, and the soft leather steering wheel feels terrific, and everything adjusts to perfection. The cabin is almost silent - a little tyre noise and that's it.

The extra equipment on the Elegance seems to be worth much more than the extra it costs over say the Ambiente. 5 alloy wheels [full size spare]. Climate control can be adjusted differently for passenger than for driver. Plenty of in-car audio. Rear parking sensors, jumbo centre storage box. All this stuff is hundreds of pounds if fitted as extras to another model.

If you test drive a 2.0 FSI after having owned an old Octavia, even a hot one, I'm pretty sure you will want to buy one.

Railroader

I'm picking up a New 2.0 FSI Elegance Hatch this p.m. I drove a vRS hatch till now [which I loved' date= and it never had a thing go wrong], so I will be losing a bit of top speed etc. [that I never use anyway]. But the FSI is torquier low down, being non turbo, and still does 132 mph [whenever!] and 0-62 in just over 9 sec. Oddly, the brochure states the FSI is a 2 valve per cylinder engine. NOPE - mistake in the brochure, it is a 16 valve engine with VVT on the intake side.

But the main points I'd make are these: The new gearbox is a far slicker change, and 6 speeds of course. The handling and steering are on a different planet to the old harsh and understeering vRS. This is apparently due to the inherited latest Golf multilink suspension etc.

There is noticeably more rear seat room but still the huge boot. The driver's seat just kind of hugs you, and the soft leather steering wheel feels terrific, and everything adjusts to perfection. The cabin is almost silent - a little tyre noise and that's it.

The extra equipment on the Elegance seems to be worth much more than the extra it costs over say the Ambiente. 5 alloy wheels [full size spare]. Climate control can be adjusted differently for passenger than for driver. Plenty of in-car audio. Rear parking sensors, jumbo centre storage box. All this stuff is hundreds of pounds if fitted as extras to another model.

If you test drive a 2.0 FSI after having owned an old Octavia, even a hot one, I'm pretty sure you will want to buy one.

Railroader

I concur with the gentleman above,had mine 9 days 2k now on clock averaging 36mpg and will take a corner like it's on rails........Crossed Severn Bridge at 5:30am listening to Pink Floyd and witha smile on my face,the joy of driving rediscovered!!!!!!!!!!

2.0fsi Elegence Corrida Red,ESP,Maxidot and Light Thingy (gettin used to it)

I have lived in the USA for the last 12 years (return to UK in November to a new 2.0 TDi DSG Octy 2 L&K. I can't understand why there is such an obsession with depreciation over the first few years of life - why would anyone buy a new car to keep only 3 years? At 50,000 miles a modern diesel/petrol car is only nicely run in and rust is a thing of the past. So why sell a car after 3 or 4 years and suffer a huge depreciation loss when if you keep it for ten years you will have fully depreciated the car and got the full benefit. It's not like modern cars are unreliable or will be 'undriveable' in ten years, in most cases manufacturers are making minor improvements and changes to incite the buyer rather than fundamental structural changes.

My present car here is a ten year old Ford Contour (Mondeo), I bought it new with the V6 engine, auto of course, and all the safety elements and nice toys and after ten years with regular servicing it drives as nicely with (150,000 miles) as an almost new car. No reason to change it just to kep the car manufacturers happy - and in the UK if you buy a Skoda surely you are already making a statement to s***w the traditional car snobs!!!