Can Mountain Bikes fit in the back of the Roomster?

For about £500 you could probably put it so it will out drag your Octy. For a few hundred more you can make it go round corners better too

So I have been told....:rolleyes:

Please do explain, I just happen to have £500 or so lying around... :) What can I do with atmo engine besides putting in high flow air filter, changing the exhaust, or if I want to be radical, drilling the head? And all that will give me a few HP at the most.

I've heard you can also fit the Pope in the back Davy, as well as bikes!

:P

Steve

I've heard that one a million times Steve, that was my dads reaction when I told him I fancied a roomster as the next car.

When I do come round to purchasing one I must sign a disclaimer not to mod.......

Wonder how long that will last??

Please do explain, I just happen to have £500 or so lying around... :) What can I do with atmo engine besides putting in high flow air filter, changing the exhaust, or if I want to be radical, drilling the head? And all that will give me a few HP at the most.

A Revo remap is about £4-500 which will put it up around the 140-150bhp mark. You need a panel filter with it which is about £35. It's not really the power thats the thing with this it's the fact it will pull better through the range maing it much better to drive.

Takes about an hour to do and and you can buy a switch to turn it on and off. Have a search on here for it so we can get this topic back on track

A Revo remap is about £4-500 which will put it up around the 140-150bhp mark. You need a panel filter with it which is about £35. It's not really the power thats the thing with this it's the fact it will pull better through the range maing it much better to drive.

Takes about an hour to do and and you can buy a switch to turn it on and off. Have a search on here for it so we can get this topic back on track

Did you realise that Marko has a petrol 1.6?

When I do come round to purchasing one I must sign a disclaimer not to mod.......

Wonder how long that will last??

No Davy, you need to create a Scottish copy of Tony's vRoomster, that you saw at the last Awesome RR Day :D

• 2 weeks later...

We have a Scout and bought the Skoda internal bike rack last Summer. Deep breath needed as it's a bit pricey esp when you open the box and see what relatively little there is, but it's substantial and (mostly) well designed. Basically it does the job and does it well. Having used, on various cars, a roof rack (bike fork mounting - good) and a tailgate high-mount "hang on" (scary!) this is far superior.

Fuel economy unaffected, stability unaffected, bikes stay clean (or mucky.....) and secure from thieving soandsos. Winter bonus - yer bikes don't get plastered in road salt. Big plus I reckon.

Quick and easy to remove and reinstall in t' car too.

Someone else has mentioned probs fitting the strap clamps around the saddle post (I think) - saddle posts vary in diameter! We have one bike with an oversize one and that's always a battle to fit the clamp to. Most seat posts are std sizes however so unlikely that many would pose a problem.

We use the rack with mountain and road bikes - mountain bikes = big and butch, specifically long wheelbase and big chunky tyres. Clearance to front seats means the bikes go in on a slight diagonal. Road bikes no problems.

In summary, pricey but does the job. Like the corporate green trimmings......

Could also try this as a solution - it's not cheap, but I can carry three adults (well, two and a large teenager) and three bikes. It also has the advantage that it keeps the back window cleaner. And yes, I know the car is filthy in this picture.

26741.attach

Could also try this as a solution - it's not cheap, but I can carry three adults (well, two and a large teenager) and three bikes. It also has the advantage that it keeps the back window cleaner. And yes, I know the car is filthy in this picture.

Looks Tidy that (the rack not the car) :rolleyes::rofl:

That's a neat solution. What is it called? What load does it put on the towbar? I believe the roomster towbar can carry 50Kg so three bikes should be fine.

The bike rack is this from here:

Bike/Cycle Carriers:Bicycle Carrier/Racks:Cycle/Bike Rack:Cycle/Bike Carrier:Car Rack

and I have a detachable towbar fitted.

The whole lot is very stable and much more solid than a hang-on rack. It is also so much easier to load than a roof mounted system, still costs a suprising amount in fuel when the car is fully loaded though, and there is obviously a lot more understeer with it all in place. However, it does keep all the mud out of the car when compared to the internal rack, and visibility is not too compromised compared to a hang on rack.

I'll add my opinions here as, er, I thought I was the only mountain biker on the forum... perhaps I should stray out of the Superb forum a little more often, eh? :rolleyes:

Anyway, with relation to the Skoda mount for the rear, that seems to use the QR's from the wheel. My bike has QR's but what about people with wheelnuts?

If anyone's wondering, we're thinking of a second car and for some reason I like the Roomster.

Hi all!

(first post of a roomy driver from france).

I've had my roomy for 2 years, and have bikes at the back most of the time.

The bike holder is a bit expensive, but does the job quite well, and is inobtrusive so its (mostly) no problem to have it all the time. Seats are a bit more of a problem but as far as I'm concerned they spend most of their time in the garage.

Regarding the seat-post clamps, on some bikes it's easier to clamp them on some other frame element. YMMV.

I've added: a rectangular piece of plywood plus borders I use when carrying a 3rd bike in between the others, with that third fork on the plywood close to the cup holder and the middle armrest. Also, a bike dust cover protects the carpets from mud (well yes from time to time it does rain down there). Strangely enough, the part of the car I dirty the most when going back home after a muddy outing... is the beige roof cloth close to the tailgate, as the mud-plastered saddle might slightly touch there.

So I'm considering getting a towbar fitted to have the Atera Strada cycle carrier "cvennall" shows above. Provided you can get a 75kg towbar (skoda's is just 50...), you can get 4 bikes at the back... In fact compared to the price asked to fit the towbar, the cycle carrier is not that expensive!

I'd rather stop there, longish enough post.

Happy roomstering!