SatNav updates

I may be being monumentally stupid here, but I am new to Skoda (had the vRS a week, done nearly 900 miles already, loving it!) and would welcome the advice...I have bought an 07 Octavia vRS diesel with the factory-fitted Columbus(?) satnav system in it. It's DVD operated, so only works when the disc is in.The question - how easy is it to get updates for these things? And should I buy one or wait until service time and expect the dealer to provide me with the latest maps? If I should buy, where are they available from, and is it possible to get Europe-wide ones?I ask because I bought the car from Progress in Bedford and then drove it straight up to york for New Year and noticed that a few of the new sections of the A1(M) and the York ring road were not on the maps, casing a little confusion on unfamiliar streets!ThanksSW

Columbus doesnt need the disc in for the satnav to work, it reads the data of the onboard 30GB hard drive. The current map version is V3 that was released in April 2008, if you have postcode search in the menu then you already have the latest version.

The skoda branded MFD2 is CD based, and the latest discs are readily available from companies like bluespot.co.uk (the mfd2 uses blaupunkt DX CD roms).

Blimey that was fast - thanks for that! I fear I AM being monumentally stupid and calling it the wrong thing - I have a Blaupunkt DVD (which I was given with the car) so I guess it's the MFD2 - I will have a look at the recommended website.

HU = head unit i.e the satnav in your dashboard. does the buttons etc light up blue or green when you got your headlights on.

Also is it touch screen? if its not touch screen then its MFD2

HTH

Carl:thumbup:

No, when you turn the ignition on it comes up green with the Skoda logo and then settles in to whatever you last had it on - just been out to office car park to check! The manual refers to it as "Radio Navigation System Nexus".

Hey, I'm no expert, as I have ably demonstrated in the posts above!

All I can tell you is this..

It's an 07 car.

I have to put a disc in it to make it show me maps.

When I look at mannyo's links above it is the one that he describes as the MFD2. (although looking at the picture the surround on mine is in slightly better nick - hee hee!)

The replacement discs are chuffin' expensive.

I'll stick it in the post to ardandy and see what he makes of it... Keep an eye out for it mate, it'll be in the package marked "unicorn feathers" carried by a flying pink postman!! :-D

It is the MFD2 as everyone has said and to the best of my knowledge was only available as a CD based version. The Nexus is what Skoda called it in the brochure.

What Does It Say On The Disk When Ejected From The Machine?. The 2007/2008 Maps i've got for the MFD2 comes on 2 CD's CD1 United Kingdom + Ireland, CD2 Europe. If you are buying updated disks Beware of early 2008 disks they had an error for the voice commands giving incorrect information, I believe this has now been corrected on the latest ones. They are available from TELE ATLAS or the sugestions in earlier posts.

Craig....... :thumbup: