as I sit here on my drive patiently waiting...

for the columbus to copy across from a DVD....

i realised that my wi-fi works on the drive so I brought my laptop out and came on the forum !!!

539 of 865 files copied (thanks for the tips a while back on how to copy entire directories rather than doing it one by one !)

this is the first disc of 4 - could be a long night !!

so...some points / questions that have cropped up so far...

1) you cant delete everything on the hard drive and start again as it wont let you delete the direcory that the current playing file is in. you cant access the hard drive unless you go into HDD and play a file. so i copied a very small file into the root directory and use this as the "play" file for when i want to delete directories.

2) has anyone else noticed that the fog lights come on when reverse is selected ? is this only in an elegance with DSG or does it happen with all variants. Also ... WHY ??

3) Can anyone detect the active headlights changing beam pattern at differnet speeds ? I notice the fog lights coming on at slow speeds when turning. I think i can see a change at 30mph. Most of the time it is masked by the fact that full beam is on.

4) i noticed a neat touch tonight. If you leave the left stalk pushed forward in full beam mode and then turn the lights off when you turn them back on again full beam does NOT come back on. presumably so as not to dazzle oncoming cars if you left the full beam on last time you were in the car !

well 603 of 865...gosh its slow (yes i do have the volume turned down !)

bye for now...

pics next (i have some from when I collected it in the sunshine. the cars is filthy now as my wife went to work in tractor land / farmer town today !!!)

for the columbus to copy across from a DVD....

i realised that my wi-fi works on the drive so I brought my laptop out and came on the forum !!!

539 of 865 files copied (thanks for the tips a while back on how to copy entire directories rather than doing it one by one !)

this is the first disc of 4 - could be a long night !!

so...some points / questions that have cropped up so far...

1) you cant delete everything on the hard drive and start again as it wont let you delete the direcory that the current playing file is in. you cant access the hard drive unless you go into HDD and play a file. so i copied a very small file into the root directory and use this as the "play" file for when i want to delete directories.

2) has anyone else noticed that the fog lights come on when reverse is selected ? is this only in an elegance with DSG or does it happen with all variants. Also ... WHY ??

3) Can anyone detect the active headlights changing beam pattern at differnet speeds ? I notice the fog lights coming on at slow speeds when turning. I think i can see a change at 30mph. Most of the time it is masked by the fact that full beam is on.

4) i noticed a neat touch tonight. If you leave the left stalk pushed forward in full beam mode and then turn the lights off when you turn them back on again full beam does NOT come back on. presumably so as not to dazzle oncoming cars if you left the full beam on last time you were in the car !

well 603 of 865...gosh its slow (yes i do have the volume turned down !)

bye for now...

pics next (i have some from when I collected it in the sunshine. the cars is filthy now as my wife went to work in tractor land / farmer town today !!!)

1) Hmmmm, not sure that's true (but I'm willing to stand corrected) - I deleted everything from the drive when I messed up copying first time round. I seem to recall I changed to playing from HDD to SD card, then you can delete from the HDD, as the system has switched devices.

2) Nope, doesn't happen on mine (just tested it) with Elegance 170CR Manual (must be a petrol add on ;) ) Are you sure both lights come on, or just one (as it does when you turn a corner with the ADS)

3) It's only really noticeable at medium speeds (ie, below 50), but fun to watch when driving slowly or pulling up behind another car (you can see the pattern change clearly then). The child in me likes the start-up sequence with the dancing light patterns. Its just fun to watch :)

4) Very cool - Hadn't noticed that til you mentioned it. Works on both Auto and manual settings too. Neat.

To copy faster, turn the volume down to zero so that it removes the unneccsary seeks as it tries to play and copy at the same time. Also switch to radio, and check back occasionally. seems to copy a dvd on mine in less than 10 mins doing this. From 2GB sd card its even faster.

To copy faster, turn the volume down to zero so that it removes the unneccsary seeks as it tries to play and copy at the same time. Also switch to radio, and check back occasionally. seems to copy a dvd on mine in less than 10 mins doing this. From 2GB sd card its even faster.

i did have the vol turned down (read my post properly :P) !

i took about an hour to copy 4.5GB , about 1120 individual files.

it not bother really - just put in the disc and left it running and went in the house and watched the telly (i used the spare key to manually lock the car as the main key was in the ignition !)

1) hmmmm, not sure that's true (but i'm willing to stand corrected) - i deleted everything from the drive when i messed up copying first time round. I seem to recall i changed to playing from hdd to sd card, then you can delete from the hdd, as the system has switched devices.

i couldnt access the hdd to delete the contents unless i selected "hdd" by which time it started playing the last file i played and then woudl not let me delete the directory containing the playing file. I must be doing something wrong - however my work around did the trick

2) nope, doesn't happen on mine (just tested it) with elegance 170cr manual (must be a petrol add on ;) ) are you sure both lights come on, or just one (as it does when you turn a corner with the ads)

i need to investigate a bit more with my wife driving and me looking. I was doing it from inside the car and looking at the reflections on the garage door

3) it's only really noticeable at medium speeds (ie, below 50), but fun to watch when driving slowly or pulling up behind another car (you can see the pattern change clearly then). The child in me likes the start-up sequence with the dancing light patterns. Its just fun to watch :)

not seen that as the car is parked 3ft from the garage door so i dont see the fulleffect of the patterns. Will have to take it onto the road an dlook tonight !

4) very cool - hadn't noticed that til you mentioned it. Works on both auto and manual settings too. Neat.

useful and sensible i guess as there are a lot of muppets on the road

see responses above in red

re : fog lights coming on when reverse is engaged. just spoken to my supplying dealer and one of the salesmen said he drives an elegance DSG and his lights come on when he engages reverse. he also noticed it on another superb...so i guess its supposed to do this.

i feel lots of drivers will start to flash superb drivers for inappropriate use of foglights !!! especially with the cornering foglight function (not much use to me as the are it illuminates is obscured by the A-pillar due to my driving position !)

Edited by jcblincs
typo

re : fog lights coming on when reverse is engaged. just spoken to my supplying dealer and one of the salesmen said he drives an elegance DSG and his lights come on when he engages reverse. he also noticed it on another superb...so i guess its supposed to do this.

i feel lots of drivers will start to flash superb drivers for inappropriate use of foglights !!! especially with the cornering foglight function (not much use to me as the are it illuminates is obscured by the A-pillar due to my driving position !)

Wonder if there is a setting in the system setup and I've turned it off (by mistake maybe), as mine definitely doesn't do it.

Had hours of fun playing with the tonal settings for the parking sensors when I first got the car, trying to decide on what volume and what tone to use for front an back. Eventually came up with a setup I liked, but must have taken about 20 mins of playing before I did it.

So many toys, so little time.... :)

Saab used to have a second side light built in near front indicators that came on when car was in reverse - this lit up the front corner areas of the car as the nose of a car is often swinging around when reversing and helps to see anything to the sides easier. I guess the fogs are trying to do the same job here but wont be as effective being lower down and facing the front rather than to the side :confused:

There again I could be totally wrong :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...
Wonder if there is a setting in the system setup and I've turned it off (by mistake maybe), as mine definitely doesn't do it.

Ok, ok, I apologise - Apparently mine does do it, I've just never noticed . SWMBO pointed out that she knows when I've turned up in the station car park to pick her up, as mine is the only car who's fog lights come on when I reverse. Doh.

Ok, ok, I apologise - Apparently mine does do it, I've just never noticed . SWMBO pointed out that she knows when I've turned up in the station car park to pick her up, as mine is the only car who's fog lights come on when I reverse. Doh.

:rofl::rofl:

just shows what a useless feature they are though - if you couldnt tell when you are behind the wheel !! :D