Window tinting

coggie

Bit off topic but I know nothing about tints!

Are they just translucent vinyl stickers covering the windows, or do you change/spray the glass?

Don't stickers get all scratched and mucky when your winding the windows up and down?

its like posh sello tape to be honest

it has scratch resistant properites and has been devolpoped for the sole purpose of tint automotive windows

there are lots of types with lots of different properties there or some the have metal fibres in that reflect light or uv etc!

staty clear of the cheap diy tinting films as they dont age well and has a tendancy to turn purple!

I just payed £200 in Herne Bay, and the only car I have ever had problems with tinted windows was on an e36 (1996) 3 series. The only reason the windows would scratch or in this case come off the runner was as the old 3 series had soft material to protect the glass under the rubber surrounding the window. This soft material after time fattened up by moisture and eventually after being heated by the sun and such stays fat + the window film roughly 0.8mm. This created too much friction and caused me to need the scissor arm inside to be replaced.

However, I can as yet report only good things from tinting my Skoda :) The thing to remember is that tints are alot more advanced than they used to be.

Oh one other thing while i'm on the subject! I vowed every time I tinted my first few cars it would be the last.. Do not unless you have been shown and are very compitant attempt to fit the stuff from your local motor factors! I was shown by a trained fitter years ago but it is very dificult and I never got as good a finnish as the tint shops do. Spend the money and get it done properly, the industry standard stuff my tint shop used is imported and about 10 years ahead of the stuff in your motor factors.

Hope this helps

Guest westallc

isnt it illegal to have tints on the front ???? 3 points and film to be removed at the road side or am i completley wrong???:o

half wrong

front windows need to let 72% light transmission

if the fall in the 72% 50% light transmision u get a telling off

if there in 50% 35% light you'll get told to remove them at th road side and prob a proabishion notice

if there less 35% you should be shot and you get 30 fine probabishion notice

but its not an endosable offecence

• 4 weeks later...