Chrome tail pipes rusting.

The chrome tailpipes on my L&K 140bhp pdi seem to be rusting quite badly.I usually clean the rust off with wire wool and then wax them but the rust soon comes back. I've never liked the look of these tail pipes as they bend downwards, so I'm wondering about sawing off the curved parts and then attaching some straight trims. I'd be grateful for your thoughts.

The curved ones are fitted in a vain attempt to aim some of the crap that eminates from them down to the road, if they are straight it would chuck the crap straight out at the following driver.

Mine tend to go a bit rusty at the tips and I use Megs' Metal 'Polysh' and it brings them up pretty well with the help of a small nail brush.

The chrome tailpipes on my L&K 140bhp pdi seem to be rusting quite badly.I usually clean the rust off with wire wool and then wax them but the rust soon comes back. I've never liked the look of these tail pipes as they bend downwards, so I'm wondering about sawing off the curved parts and then attaching some straight trims. I'd be grateful for your thoughts.

Perhaps wire wool is not the best medium as it is too aggressive and I would be the first to agree that quality of the chrome on the tailpiece is not the best and it is possible that you have removed what chrome there was and you are down to the mild steel in places.

I would recommend only using a chrome cleaner paste as wax will not be resilient enough to protect against the heat and crud emitted from the exhaust.

I cut the curved parts off my pd140 and fitted chrome trims bought of Ebay - actually BMW trims. They look good and have lasted well with no rust.

Not noticed any real increase in soot on the back of the car.

Note that the tail pipes appear heat treated and hardened, I had to use a B&D Scorpion Saw and it took 2 metel blades to cut the pipes off - you will never touch them with a hacksaw.

Overall effect well worth the effort mine are the 4th post on

http://briskoda.net/octavia-ii/octy-ii-vrs-rear-bumper-exhaust/80670/

They were fitted with Stainless Steel Self Tappers

Edited by Octavia5

Perhaps wire wool is not the best medium as it is too aggressive and I would be the first to agree that quality of the chrome on the tailpiece is not the best and it is possible that you have removed what chrome there was and you are down to the mild steel in places.

I would recommend only using a chrome cleaner paste as wax will not be resilient enough to protect against the heat and crud emitted from the exhaust.

Try some Alloy Wheel "wax" from the likes of autoglym, worked well on my Honda...

Chrome tail pipe seems not to be popular as then once where, most of £££'s new Audi's I've seen do not have them. Every cheap Korean car has them fitted it seems....

James.

I cut the curved parts off my pd140 and fitted chrome trims bought of Ebay - actually BMW trims. They look good and have lasted well with no rust.

Done exactly the same things on mine, just not with BMW ones but with polished aluminium ones. They don't rust, I just polish them each 2 months.

Not noticed any real increase in soot on the back of the car.

Note that the tail pipes appear heat treated and hardened, I had to use a B&D Scorpion Saw and it took 2 metel blades to cut the pipes off - you will never touch them with a hacksaw.

Overall effect well worth the effort mine are the 4th post on

http://briskoda.net/octavia-ii/octy-ii-vrs-rear-bumper-exhaust/80670/

They were fitted with Stainless Steel Self Tappers

Thanks for that - they certainly look good. Sounds like fun cutting the pipes!