Blinker relay

vos

New problem.

Blinker works fine and relay "clicks" normally.

But after using blinker, the relay keeps on clicking. This clicking sound disappears in a few moments. This happens everytime after blinker is used.

What seems to be the problem?

I read that the problem could be solved by changing the blinker swichter(?). Is it difficult to change?

Or is the problem in the relay. Is the realay in hazard-swicher?

The problem is the column switch. VAG use a flasher which will operate on a very high resistance load. They also fit a column switch which fills itself with copper frag from the contacts.

Eventually the frag causes a high resistance path inside the switch which allows the flasher to operate due to its poor design. The vehicle lights don't flash because the frag will not pass enough current to operate them.

The "proper" fix is a new column switch (GSF in the UK) but you can try flushing out the old one with a switch cleaner spray. Remove the column shrouds and put an old towel under the switch. Fit a nozzle to the can and use plenty of fluid whilst operating the switch.

This nearly always works. Next time this happens on my car, I'll modify the flasher to ignore the small leakage current caused by VAG's crappy switch.

The relay is in the hazard switch assembly. These don't give a lot of trouble but the actual hazard swiches are not particularly reliable either. Time for a new electrical engineer at Wolfsburg - VAG switchgear is not up to Japanese standards.

rotodiesel.

Problem disappeared today... Blinker worker normally and I didn't do anything.

So the problem might be in contacts as rotodiesel mentioned.

I'll try to clean the column switch later when I have time. So hopefully there will be no more problems with blinker again.

:thumbup:

I had a same problem about a year ago. I used WD40 (not sure if it's the right thing to use?) and never happend again.

No, it's not really as it'll leave a bit of a film which isn't so good for electronics.

Just some kind of electrical contact cleaner will do the trick, we sell our own branded version which is pretty good. As long as you can stand the smell. :eek:

No, it's not really as it'll leave a bit of a film which isn't so good for electronics.

Just some kind of electrical contact cleaner will do the trick, we sell our own branded version which is pretty good. As long as you can stand the smell. :eek:

If it's not good for electronics I must be lucky that it's still working :thumbup: What's the OEM brand name / product name?

Thanks

Like Bluefox says -be carefull with switchcleaners -remember years ago we sprayed a switch at work with another well known brand -ended up replacing the switch .

Looking at the problem -wouldnent a can of compressed air do the trick -if it's not cleaning that's needed ,but merely getting rid of crap .

Like Bluefox says -be carefull with switchcleaners -remember years ago we sprayed a switch at work with another well known brand -ended up replacing the switch .

Looking at the problem -wouldnent a can of compressed air do the trick -if it's not cleaning that's needed ,but merely getting rid of crap .

Yeah, Sprayduster ftw.

This is the stuff I was referring to, worked a treat in my old Mk2 Golf:

Halfords Electrical Contact Cleaner from Halfords Price £3.99 Extra 10% Off Everything*