Knock when setting off

Noticed a single knock when setting off from stationary in first gear... doesn't happen in any other gear though and not all the time. Possibly the gearbox mount but was wondering if this is something more sinister...

Any ideas?

I sometimes get a knock when pulling away - usually only in reverse though. I also get a clunk when i off throttle - i.e. when the engine stops pulling and starts (in effect) braking. Only noticed it at trundle speeds but might ask the local garage to have a mooch sometime.

thanks guys...

One possibility was when i put some washer fluid in the other day, i noticed that the engine cover was majorly loose... i've reseated it (but it didn't click into place properly) and the noise has disappeared... will try and get car in the air this week and check the gearbox mounts just in case...

she's in at weekend for service so will keep you all posted...

UPDATE:

Pulled out of junction at lunch today (Monday) and seriously loud bang... car became rather noisy, and lots of vibration both through wheel and dash... Dropped it off at local Skoda dealer to investigate...

UPDATE 2:

Skoda Dealer inspected the car; turns out one of the gearbox mount bolts had sheared off completely... when enquiring as to why the other bolt wasn't holding it in place, they told me that there was only one bolt!!!! They have replaced all bolts though and also the mount (I suspect it was partially damaged or they have swapped it for a revised part). All done under warranty, and should be picking her up at lunchtime...

Very lucky that no more damage was caused (see thread and post 29 above)...

Thanks again peeps for the help and advice!

Edited by bomski
2nd update of information