Engines etc

Last year I replaced a 2.0pd Ambiente hatch with a 2.0pd Elegance estate, both manual. the estate's engine feels rather different (less smoky, maybe a bit brisker but but rather peakier) and is a lot less economical at 20,000 miles (50mpg vs 60mpg). The reg document says it's a 2.0pd 8v... is that a different engine? I thought that they all had sixteen valves? Could the loss of economy be something else? Estate body? Wider tyres? Maybe I was just lucky with the Ambiente... Any advice gratefully received

I thought all Octavia 2.0TDIs were 16v and the Superb 2.0TDI was 8 valve due to the positioning under the Superb bonnet. The 1.9TDIs were 8 valve as well IIRC

I have always stuggled to get more than 50mpg from both of my TDI estates.

Heh, yea this is a tricky one........

Mine is an 05 PD 140 Tdi Estate, and the brochure states this should be a 16v......but my V5 states it's an 8v.

I did read some where (on here actually) that if you have a DPF you get the 8v..

It's no help to you at all but at least you know you are not alone in the mystery :D

Depending on driving of course, but I can easily see 53 mpg on the clock staying under 70 mph....

Our work had both the PD105 and the PD140 estates (both 05 plates) and the fuel economy was easy to get in to the 50's...on both engines.