2 questions on Fabia engines

bb150297

Apologies if either or both of these appeared on previous threads....

Currently have a Felicia and looking to get a Fabia as next model.

Read usual reviews and ruled out 2.0 petrol and old 8v. Usage pattern makes petrol / diesel equation not 100% obvious either way

2 qs:

1) Real world mpg will never match published figures, but any anecdotal evidence that some come closer than others (in order to better compare).

2) Heard via another VAG forum about timing chain slippage on 1.2 engines. Has this been a problem with 1.2 Fabias? Has there been a fix or ar later models just as likely to suffer?

Thanks

I have had a 2002 Fabia 1.9TDI Comfort Estate from new. It has now done 140,000 miles and has never averaged less than 52+ mpg per tank, whatever the driving (which has included several months of nose to bumper city driving in Paris, plus some several-hour long autoroute journeys at 140 km/h+.) My current daily commute is 60 miles return on the A1 and it comfortably manages 58-60 mpg. I've been delighted with the car (and just bought an Octavia Estate with the 1.9 TDI engine, as well) Thoroughly recommended!

I have 04 reg 1.4TDI brilliant. 70mpg + no problems in 107K. Slow to get heater going.

SWMBO has W reg 1.9 SDI. Loves it - very forgiving. 77K. 65mpg. Needed wheel bearing rear and front springs at 75K, otherwise no problems. Heater quick to warm.

You can't go wrong with a diesel!

1.2 Fabias' have the three cylinder engines with cam belts not chains. The 1.4 mpi 8 valve had the timing chain.

The 1.2 is a three cylinder that much is true, but they are indeed chain driven.

Chains do have a modified tensioner set up now but they are all reliant on one thing. Oil. The 1.2 holds less than 3 litres of oil, drop a third of this down to the bottom of the dipstick and take a corner, it can be enough to loose tension and it slips. 6v isnt a massive issue, can be retimed usually and off you go, 12v will more than likely bend something,

my VRS does about 40MPG and the good thing if you go TDI is a remapp is not only for increased power, you can increase the MPG. Chris (who is also on here) did 74MPG on the onboard computer, when going to germany.

I would say go for a PD100/130 and have a custom MPG remap if your not happy with the standard MPG.