Head Gasket?

Hi,

A few days ago I bought a Skoda Octavia SLXi 1999 second hand. The car had one lady owner from new and had a FSH.

It was night when I bought the car, but anyway, checked oil in petrol station after buying car, oil was full and looked fine, checked oil filler cap and noticed a creamy substance on it, I am wondering if this is the mayo look people talk about. Anyway I cleaned it off and put it back on.

The car has done 82,000 miles, and from Jan 2008 - Dec 2008, did only 4000 miles, and from Dec 3rd 2008 to when I bought it a couple of days ago it had only done 39 miles.

I have only really done short distances since getting the car, ie, school run in the morning which covered less than 2 miles, taking wife to work about 6 miles round trip, if that.

However checking the car this morning, I noticed the mayo stuff slowly coming back.

The expansion tank fluid looks clear and clean, temps are all normal. Am I panicking about nothing or is there something wrong with my car?

Cheers

Jon

Yeah you need to get the oil up to temperature, and then run it at temperature for a decent period of time to clean it up and evaporate off all the moisture and other assorted nasties.

If your only ever doing short trips you'll need to change the oil more regularly, as it will degrade much quicker.

Cars love to be driven!

As already said if a car only does short trips all the time the "mayo" can build up. If the cars driving and all the temps, oil level's etc are fine then theres a good chance thats all it is.

But you are right in thinking its a good sign of a head gasket problem too so if the cars new to you just keep an eye on everything and then you will know one way or the other.

If you can change the oil and filter and clean the oil cap and take it for a run somewhere, go out for a long day trip with the kids. As long as it isnt the head gasket it will only do the car good. Good luck, hopefully its nothing to worry about,

Thanks for the info, haven't had a chance to give it a run yet, but going away next week, and will cover a fair few miles then. Hopefully its not the head gasket, just can't afford major problems at the moment.

Thanks for the advice

Jon

Agreed. With that kind of issue I tend to also drop the oil, then fill with bespoke flushing oil, run the engine a while (at idle) on that, then drop that oil, clear the oil pump and suction clean the oil filter housing (if the diesel type). Then when it's filled up wtih new oil and checked on the dipstick after a run/parking it's extremely clean in there indeed.

Greg.