New owner with a couple of questions

Hello guys!

I've just purchased a V6 TDi Superb, and have a couple of questions!

I've got two minor faults on the car, which are irritations rather than anything else, these are from what I can tell two classical failures:

1) The Cruise does not work, at all

2) The parking sensors have a mind of their own

Start with the cruise:

I've been doing a bit of reading, and the most common cause of this by the look of it is the cruise stalk going on the fritz. As I found this out I've stripped the steering column down and probed the connector block with a multimeter: the cruise switch is good, showing a good clean on/off state. Where next to look? Are the clutch and brake pedal switches prone to failure as well, and testable?

The parking sensors sometimes work - they worked perfectly on the test drive - and sometimes do not work, emitting the high pitched squeal of death on engagement. The funny thing is that all four are making a clicking noise as expected and if you switch it off/on about 2-3 times it'll suddenly start working again! Ideas?

I've just had a vagcom lead turn up in the post, will the fault codes pinpoint either of the above? (IE will it tell me exactly which reversing sensor may need replacing and whether the clutch switch is on the blink?)

Cheers,

Andy

Genuine VAG-COM cables will tell you which sensor is not working (not sure if non genuine cables will as i haven't used one)

The CC should also show a fault code.

The first thing i would do is to give the car a full scan.

Okay on my lunch break I've scanned the car, the reversing sensor's obvious, but I cant see anything vaguely Cruise related? What controller block would throw a fault for the cruise?

VAG-COM Version: Release 409.1-US

Control Module Part Number: 8E0 907 401 T

Component and/or Version: 2.5l/4VTEDC G000SG 0007

Software Coding: 04002

Work Shop Code: WSC 00028

Additional Info: 00008059 130 106KC318_1.V14742964492

Additional Info: 00008059 130 106KC318_1.V14742964492

No fault code found.

Control Module Part Number: 3U0 614 517 D

Component and/or Version: ABS/ESP front 1314

Software Coding: 04455

Work Shop Code: WSC 01128

No fault code found.

Control Module Part Number: 3U0 907 044 A

Component and/or Version: CLIMATRONIC S B5 C 2004

Software Coding: 17000

2 Faults Found:

00792 - A/C Pressure Switch (F129)

35-00 - -

01274 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs

37-00 - Please Register/Activate

Control Module Part Number: 1J0 907 487 A

Component and/or Version: Lenkradelektronik 0005

Software Coding: 00118

No fault code found.

Control Module Part Number: 3U0 920 941 A

Component and/or Version: KOMBI+WEGFAHRSP VDO V06

Software Coding: 31415

Work Shop Code: WSC 00000

Additional Info: TMBCG63U459088421 SKZ7Z0D2788137

No fault code found.

Control Module Part Number: 6N0 909 901

Component and/or Version: Gateway K<->CAN 0001

Software Coding: 00006

No fault code found.

Control Module Part Number: Bit teA dre ss

Component and/or Version: e 17 eingeben

Software Coding:

Work Shop Code:

No Faults Found

or DTCs not supported by controller

a communication error ocurred

Control Module Part Number:

Component and/or Version:

Software Coding:

Work Shop Code:

No fault code found.

Control Module Part Number: 1C0 959 799 B

Component and/or Version: BE Komfortgerát HLO 0004

Software Coding: 00258

Additional Info: 1C2959802 BE Tõrsteuer.FS KLO 0202

Additional Info: 1C2959801 BE Tõrsteuer.BF KLO 0202

Additional Info: 3U0959811 BE Tõrsteuer.HL KLO 0202

Additional Info: 3U0959812 BE Tõrsteuer.HR KLO 0202

1 Fault Found:

01134 - Alarm Horn (H12)

49-00 - No Communications

Control Module Part Number: 1U0 035 161 D

Component and/or Version: Radio GRO 0001

Software Coding: 00407

No fault code found.

Control Module Part Number: 3U0 919 283

Component and/or Version: Einparkhilfe V009

Software Coding: 00114

1 Fault Found:

01545 - Sensor for Parking Aid: Rear Left (G203)

29-00 - Short to Ground

I'll just decode the non written codes above, but does anyone have any info about probing the cruise inputs to see what's what?

Cheers,

Andy

I'm not sure what:

Software Coding:

Work Shop Code:

No Faults Found

Is trying to check, non of the cars i have scanned (that i have kept the scan, anyway) have got this, including my Superb (all be it a 1.9 TDi) it might be something only the V6 has?

Is there a physical on/off switch on the CC stalk?

I'm not sure what:

Software Coding:

Work Shop Code:

No Faults Found

Is trying to check, non of the cars i have scanned (that i have kept the scan, anyway) have got this, including my Superb (all be it a 1.9 TDi) it might be something only the V6 has?

Is there a physical on/off switch on the CC stalk?

When I've looked back, it was a manaul attempt at interrogating the immobiliser, which didnt like it at all.

Yup there's a physical on/off switch, but I know this is working because I've attached a multimeter to its terminals and tested it making a clean open/close... I just need to be able to see its inputs on the ECU now to make sure the signals are reaching home.

Out if interest what trim level is it?

(just thinking if it was a Classic, then they don't come with CC as std, so it would of been retro fitted - and maybe the CC was not activated?)

Out if interest what trim level is it?

(just thinking if it was a Classic, then they don't come with CC as std, so it would of been retro fitted - and maybe the CC was not activated?)

It's a comfort spec model with steering wheel controls, cruise and full DIS.

The controls on the other side of the steering wheel work fine for the radio?

Describe 'interesting' if they are intermittent then check the N/S/R carpet is still bone dry.

N/S/R = passenger side (in the UK) rear? Sorry, I'm useless with near/far side expressions.

By 'interesting' I mean that the main dome light works flawlessly, comes on when you open the doors, unlock the car etc. The reading lights do funny things, switching one on switches all three lights on and switching the other on switches the main dome lamp off... I need to pull that out and have a look at what's going on with that.

Yes N/S/R is passenger side rear on a RHD (UK) car.

The pollen filters are notorious for leaking on these, bit they normally start affecting every thing like electric windows, central locking etc.

The central convenience unit is under the N/S/R carpet and gets flooded when the pollen filter leaks (do a search for 'water ingress' for more info).

However the only fault your scan found under the central conv. was the alarm, so i discounted the pollen filter from leaking straight away as there would normally be be several faults showing.

I suggest that you start replacing your reverse sensors first as it aint cost much, from there u can kinda of sort out if it is the set is faulty or u have a shorted wired somewhere. However if u were to replace the cruise control it will be much more ex.

Hah, okay after having got over that shock, I've managed to track down that it's the clutch switch causing all the cruise control trouble - VAGCOM shows all the other buttons working, but the clutch pedal is showing as permenantly depressed... £12 switch on its way!

• 1 year later...

I have the same Cruise control problem (Superb 2005 elegence) and suspect it could be the clutch switch. Dealer says it is the clutch switch but they don't have it in stock.

Could someone please let me know if this is something I can do myself? And any idea about where I can buy this and the cost? I have tried Euro car parts and they don't have this

I'd do the brake light switch at the sametime if I was you, if it helps, if you pull the side panel off the dash to expose the drivers side fuses, you can see the tops of the pedals, may need to slide the lower dash forwards to replace switches, not sure but if you can't access it, then this has to be the next step.

There will be no problem getting a clutch pedal switch from your nearest VW dealer. Don't waste your time with "Skoda" (just a badge for an excellent assembly plant).

Get the reg and VIN of a Passat with the same running gear as yours and same build year (10th digit in VIN). My local VW agent keeps an excellent stock of spares - I haven't caught him out yet, although I did buy his last rear interior light bulb...

rotodiesel.

Edited by rotodiesel

Thanks Superbia and rotodiesel for the helpful information

So as rotodiesel explained I need to find the Reg and VIN of a Passat with the same stuff as mine. I can check with my friends who drive passats. But if theirs are not the model I am looking for is there a better way to find a VIN and Reg of a passat with similar gear? Is there any website that could give me these details? It would be great if anyone could give me any information about this.

And one more question to rotodiesel

When i go to VW with the REG and VIN should I pretend I drive that VW? If I mention I drive a skoda would they refuse to sell that part? I guess that is the case but just wanted to confirm.

I don't pretend to anyone - I just visit the VW spares department and ask either for a specific part by number (nearly all VAG bits are marked with the part number) or "a clutch pedal switch for vehicle Reg xxx VIN yyy".

I don't give a toss what they think or what they might like to sell me - as far as I'm concerned, in the town where I live there's a very good supply of spares to fit my car - and it doesn't live in a building with a "Skoda" badge on the door. If VAG want to give me second rate spares service as a user of one of their vehicles carrying a particular badge, then I'll find a way around it. Why the idiots don't have a common service facility I'll never know.

Why don't you find the numbers of your "shadow" VW in their car park - they've got plenty to choose from?

The people in the stores dept of my local VW agent have always been courteous and efficient - but the grovelling salesmen in the "front of house" I would find hard to do business with.

rotodiesel.

Thanks very much for explaining this rotodiesel

I am going to try my neatest VW dealer soon. Thanks a lot

I don't pretend to anyone - I just visit the VW spares department and ask either for a specific part by number (nearly all VAG bits are marked with the part number) or "a clutch pedal switch for vehicle Reg xxx VIN yyy".

I don't give a toss what they think or what they might like to sell me - as far as I'm concerned, in the town where I live there's a very good supply of spares to fit my car - and it doesn't live in a building with a "Skoda" badge on the door. If VAG want to give me second rate spares service as a user of one of their vehicles carrying a particular badge, then I'll find a way around it. Why the idiots don't have a common service facility I'll never know.

Why don't you find the numbers of your "shadow" VW in their car park - they've got plenty to choose from?

The people in the stores dept of my local VW agent have always been courteous and efficient - but the grovelling salesmen in the "front of house" I would find hard to do business with.

rotodiesel.

A little tip for you, getting things done at a VW garage is better, as it's effectively a Passat B5.5 they work on them a lot, where the Skoda guy sees one in a blue moon, and practice makes perfect, and they are sometimes cheaper than Skoda also.