Overboost error code

Have just had a problem with my 52 plate octavia (60k). Dropped into limp home after an relatively short accel. Main dealer has said it showed an intermittant error code 17965 and that the wastegate was seized open. My wife uses the car for pottering round town. Is it possible that using it for some longer runs may free it up or am I going to have to plump for the £1100 new turbo that they are suggesting? Any thoughts or links to similar threads greatly appreciated!!

Guest westallc

what octavia ???

17965/P1557/005463 - Charge Pressure Control: Positive Deviation

Possible Symptoms

Reduced power output

Limp mode

Possible Causes

Boost Pressure too High

Hoses/Pipes incorrect connected, disconnected, blocked or leaking

Charger Pressure Control defective

VNT (variable nozzle turbo): nozzles stuck

Solenoid Valve for Boost Pressure Control (N75) defective

Possible Solutions

Check Hoses/Pipes to/between Components

Check Solenoid Valve for Boost Pressure Control (N75)

Check / Clean / Replace Charge Pressure Control

Check / Clean mechanism for variable nozzles

Guest westallc

If you have a turbo that is jammed up and causing an Overboost code, you will need to follow the following procedure. To keep the file size to a minimum, I eliminated the removal process and kept it to strictly the repair of the turbo.

This issue is often caused by "Babying" the motor and short shifting at low rpms. People who have this issue are often the ones that have been being gentle with the motor and not following my guidelines of shifting at 2500rpm when cold and at no less than 3,000 rpm when warm.

Anyway, here is what you need to do to fix your turbo:

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/Dri...dure_small.pdf

And when it is all said and done this is how your VNT actuator rod will move!

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/2006_0603_175432AB.AVI

I'd think Westallc is probably correct; it's much more common for the VVT to get sticky and cause overboosting than for the wastegate actuator to sieze! In any event, if as the dealer claimed, the actuator siezed open then you'd get no boost at all, not overboost!

thanks for the replies - will look through the suggestions properly later - just something else to add, after a key off / key on the problem had gone and driving it home after it had been in the dealer it was fine. Could rev it up to and beyond 3500 with no issues, seemed to be boosting ok, accelerated up to 85-90 on the motorway (it only managed 70 with the problem). My understanding of the wastegate is that it is ultimately a pressure relief valve for when the turbo pressure is too high? then if its stuck like you've all said - there would be either no pressure at all or the turbo would be on all the time and it'd be like driving a rocket car! I was under the impression that skoda dealerships in this country are top quality - I feel like I'm being taken for a ride a bit??

It's possible that, if properly exercised as soon as it first occurs, a VVT problem will clear itsel for several weeks or months, which fits what you're reporting Chas.

Your understanding of what a wastegate does is correct, and whilst a new turbo would cure the problem it's both unnecessary and being suggested for completely the wrong reasons I think.

Some Skoda dealers are very good, and others complete cr@p, as a browse through the review centre will show you. Annoyingly the bad ones seem to have more or less total monopolies on counties or entire regions. If you say where you are, we can probably make a recommendation of a good place (not necessarily someone with a Skoda badge over the door though).

Skoda main dealers don't repair things they just replace them. At least that is what I was told by a main dealer when I had the sticky turbo problem. Basically if certain codes turn up which indicate problem with the turbo the answer is change the turbo. hence the silly cost.

Though I would imagine that there are some out there who are a bit more pragmatic and helpful, just not in my experience.

• 1 month later...

help needed, i have an 04 plate octavia estate which i bought when it was 6 months old. About 2 years ago a new turbo was fitted under warranty, symtoms of loss of power but would then be ok fow a while if engine was turned off. Same problem has now occured again and have been told i require a new turbo again by skoda. overboost error code. I cant believe i need to have a third turbo. Could someone suggest a place in the Norwich area I could get a second opinion from

thanks in advance

Overboost code P0234 was a problem I had on my old Mk1 octy, The dealer replaced the turbo. It was probably the sticky vanes problem, but the dealer will only replace the unit. If you have the time, which I didn't you can strip & clean the vane mechanism.

Mine was the 90 bhp 1.9tdi, initially the fault might occur once a week, switching off & on again cured the problem. After a few weeks the fault occurred maybe twice a day, eventually the engine management light would come on.

I am suffering the same overboost problems on my TDI 110. I have e-mailed Turbo Technics in northampton because i believe they offer the strip down and clean procedure on these problem units.

I'll advise on what they say. Needless to say it will involve me removing the turbo myself and refitting it, and being without the car for a few days as well.

Hi Guys

I too had a problem which i was sure was the sticky vanes problem. however when my local garage wired it up for a reading the only fault codes were a couple of sensors, one of which was an intermittente temperature sensor. He replaced said sensor and its driveing like a dream in all gears, when now and again before, when i gave it some beans in third it would go into safe mode. I was sceptical when he first told me the results but if there isn't a overboost reading i guess he would know better than me.

Does it sound like this sensor could have been causing the safe mode? and if so i wonder if other people with similar problems could try looking for this instead of going down the turbo Route.

Tom