engine management light - glow plug issue?

Hi Folks,

A fault has developed on my cherished yr and a bit old Octavia vRS tdi (9000 miles) which I felt compelled to announce to the forum incase anyone has experienced anything similar.

The engine management light (referred to in the manual as the control system for exhaust) displays intermitently. On each occurance, it lights when the ignition is switched on, goes out as normal when the engine is running but then comes on again a few seconds later. It then stays on permanently until it goes out a few days later of it's own accord. Then maybe a week or so later, it happens again.

The car has been to the dealer twice. Each time diagnostics has reported 4 faults, one on the glowplug relay, a fault on glowplug 1, a fault on glowplug 3 and a fault on glowplug 4 with the recomendation that the glowplug in cylinder 1 is replaced.

The dealer is sceptical that it is the glowplug and not some other electrical fault and want the car for up to 3 days to run further tests. Apparently if it does turn out to be the glowplug, they can't estimate how much time it will take to do as they have never changed one before on a 2 litre tdi engine.

What are peoples thoughts?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Stevieboy i have the same problem. when it first come out i had 11000km and now i have 14500km on clock and problem is still here. :(

Untill now they have canged 1. and 3. glow plug, complete eletronics in head of engine, glow plugs relay.

Oh yes and thay have sand data to factory 40days ago.

Now i have same new problems:

- climatronic dosnt work like it should

- back window heater dosnt work

- car starts at 3. attempt

Today i got answer from factory that they are still lucking for a solution of a problem...

Just for info this all finding a solution and fiksing it taks more then 5 months!!!

Sorry for bad english :)

Hi Folks,

A fault has developed on my cherished yr and a bit old Octavia vRS tdi (9000 miles) which I felt compelled to announce to the forum incase anyone has experienced anything similar.

The engine management light (referred to in the manual as the control system for exhaust) displays intermitently. On each occurance, it lights when the ignition is switched on, goes out as normal when the engine is running but then comes on again a few seconds later. It then stays on permanently until it goes out a few days later of it's own accord. Then maybe a week or so later, it happens again.

The car has been to the dealer twice. Each time diagnostics has reported 4 faults, one on the glowplug relay, a fault on glowplug 1, a fault on glowplug 3 and a fault on glowplug 4 with the recomendation that the glowplug in cylinder 1 is replaced.

The dealer is sceptical that it is the glowplug and not some other electrical fault and want the car for up to 3 days to run further tests. Apparently if it does turn out to be the glowplug, they can't estimate how much time it will take to do as they have never changed one before on a 2 litre tdi engine.

What are peoples thoughts?

Thanks

If your dealer hasn't diagnosed this yet it might be time to change dealer. The glow plug relay was subject to a widespread TSB quite some time ago and should not be breaking news to any dealer.

01648 P0670 006 Glow Plug timing control unit 1 electric fault in glow plug

circuit

01649 P0671 006 Glow plug cylinder 1 – Q10 sporadic electric electric fault in

circuit

01650 P0672 006 Glow plug cylinder 2 – Q11 sporadic electric electric fault in

circuit

01651 P0673 006 Glow plug cylinder 3 – Q12 sporadic electric electric fault in

circuit

01652 P0674 006 Glow plug cylinder 4 – Q13 sporadic electric electric fault in

circuit

If you want to check yourself then I can tell you if you wish.

I have had a similar issue with my vRS over the last 3 months. The dealer tells me I have a fault indicatted on the glow plug relay and faulty glow plugs 1 & 3. The relay and plugs have been replaced, a new battery was put in, and at the last visit, an area engineer put an additional earth on the car. But the problem still exists and SUK know of my problem, but I am still waiting for a solution.

Has anyone else had thier problems fixed yet ?

Edited by scumspawn

Thanks for your replies and to VRStu for your offer of assistance. At the risk of coming across as a bit thick, what is a TSB?

OZbolt and Scumspawn, sorry to hear of your problems.

The car actually went to the dealer today so I'll keep you all posted as to the outcome. Fingers crossed it will be a quick fix and not some epic saga that will run and run for months.

Thanks

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the same problem but it is very similar ( I have posted this on another thread). My engine management light came on, (2005 Octy 105 BHP with 85,000 miles) the independent garage thought it was the known glow plug issue, but reset the fault temporarily. Because the car ran perfectly, when the light reappeared I ignored it for 3 months. Then the Glow plug light came on and the car would be very difficult to start, was using more fuel, and the engine stopped if I let it go under 1100 revs. This happened even when hot and it would still be difficult to start. The garage replaced the crankshaft sensor to no avail. The problem was eventually traced to wires that had rubbed through the insulation, low down on nearside front of the engine. The garage then checked a taxi he had in, and found it had got the beginnings of the same problem.

same happened to me, but i was told that the diagnostic fault code was to do with the dpf and that they just reset the dpf and its fine now. touch would everything is ok.

also i have the stereo popping syndrome, randomly goes bang, have to turn engine off then back on to get the stereo back on if it doesnt have any sound when it comes back on (dealer heard of this on older cars and it was a software update but nothing out on the newer cars with stream stereo)

i have an 08 vrs tdi - love it to bits, much better than my audi A3 with same engine, and that had problem after problem, including the dpf and engine light

• 4 weeks later...

Update: So far, after three visits to the garage, I've had new glow plugs, new relays, a new ecu and now they are talking about a new alternator assembly, the thinking being that a dodgy alternator is sending some sort of spike to the ecu?

I haven't even seen the car for 4 weeks!

Scumspawn - did you ever get your problems resolved? It sounds like we have the same issue.

Not sure if this is the same problem but it is very similar ( I have posted this on another thread). My engine management light came on, (2005 Octy 105 BHP with 85,000 miles) the independent garage thought it was the known glow plug issue, but reset the fault temporarily. Because the car ran perfectly, when the light reappeared I ignored it for 3 months. Then the Glow plug light came on and the car would be very difficult to start, was using more fuel, and the engine stopped if I let it go under 1100 revs. This happened even when hot and it would still be difficult to start. The garage replaced the crankshaft sensor to no avail. The problem was eventually traced to wires that had rubbed through the insulation, low down on nearside front of the engine. The garage then checked a taxi he had in, and found it had got the beginnings of the same problem.

Hi everyone,

I just posted this on another topic. Seems like I'm not the only one with this problem...

''I'm new here on the forum.

And I have a problem. My dignostic tool reads the code PO672.

Saying: Cylinder 2 glowing plug circuit (QII) Electrical fault: P0672.

And I can't seem to find any information in my library about this. It doesn't even has knowledge on that code ???!!!

I thaught the problem was the glowing plug itself. I checked it, but it seems to be not that.

As the code refers to a 'plug circuit electrical fault'.

Has anyone ever had this problem before ? What the problem exactly would be ?

How to solve it ?

The engine is absolutely running perfect, no problems at all.

Just the faulty code keeps coming back after reset.

Thanks in advance, and hoping on a quick respond !

Cheers,

Dieter from Belgium.''

To me I reccon that the rubbing of wires is the thing to be looking out for..

As I allready had to replace a part the wiring loom protection underneeth the bonnet, only after the car had done 10 K's.

If any one should have other options, I would be happy to informed...

Cheers,

Dieter.

Hi everyone,

I just posted this on another topic. Seems like I'm not the only one with this problem...

''I'm new here on the forum.

And I have a problem. My dignostic tool reads the code PO672.

Saying: Cylinder 2 glowing plug circuit (QII) Electrical fault: P0672.

And I can't seem to find any information in my library about this. It doesn't even has knowledge on that code ???!!!

I thaught the problem was the glowing plug itself. I checked it, but it seems to be not that.

As the code refers to a 'plug circuit electrical fault'.

Has anyone ever had this problem before ? What the problem exactly would be ?

How to solve it ?

The engine is absolutely running perfect, no problems at all.

Just the faulty code keeps coming back after reset.

Thanks in advance, and hoping on a quick respond !

Cheers,

Dieter from Belgium.''

To me I reccon that the rubbing of wires is the thing to be looking out for..

As I allready had to replace a part the wiring loom protection underneeth the bonnet, only after the car had done 10 K's.

If any one should have other options, I would be happy to informed...

Cheers,

Dieter.

I checked the complete wiring loom underneeth the bonnet. Not a single damage found.

As the faulty coad read: cylinder 2 glowing plug wiring loom. I then just switched the glowing plugs from cylinders 1 an 2. Then I erased the faulty code. And now it seems like the problem is solved. The engine warning light styas switched off.

Let's hop it stay's that way. :thumbup:

• 4 months later...

Sigh, my 08 ocky vrs has developed the same dreaded problem and this is the second time!!!

My local dealer is under impression its a battery problem, i.e. not being charged properly, ermm can't say I noticed flat battery issues, also it tends to idle at 1,000 rpm 98% of the time, not sure if it has dpf as I didnt see a particulate filter on the exhaust system ?

Edited by Baba

Got my car back today, they changed the alternator and it seemed okay on the way home, I was disappointed though that they could'nt even wash my car after being in their workshops for two weeks, it was absolutely filthy ,also I got it back minus the engine undertray:(

Mannyo if that's the case then surely it does not regenerate more than 10 times in a 5 mile trip around town? *gets out his bag of marshmellows to toast :P