Media-in (MDI) for Superb. When?

Hello,

The Columbus, Bolero and Admunsen manuals (thanks to Bagpuss) metion Media-in (apart from aux-in). Does anyone know when it will be available?

Thanks.

The Kufatec version for Columbus now seems to be available but it's not obvious to me exactly what is needed.

KUFATEC GmbH - IMA Multimedia Adapter mit Steuerung "Basic-Plus" 35538

The kit from Kufatec is for the VW armrest mounted version. It's designed to fit in the centre armrest in place of the standard CD changer. This isn't ideal for the Superb, where the kit is supposed to be installed in the glovebox.

For the glovebox install, you need the following VW part numbers:

MDI interface cable - 5N0 057 342 - cost approx £120

USB cable - 000051446B - cost approx £20

iPod cable - 000051446C - cost approx £20

You don't need both the USB and iPod cables, unless you want to be able to use both types of devices. Only one cable can be used at a time.

Last time I tried to order the parts from a UK VW dealer, then MDI cable was not available, but this might have changed by now. It's just a simply case of removing the Columbus, plugging in the MDI cable and routing it into the glovebox.

Bagpuss.

The kit from Kufatec is for the VW armrest mounted version. It's designed to fit in the centre armrest in place of the standard CD changer. This isn't ideal for the Superb, where the kit is supposed to be installed in the glovebox.

The weblink provided above NOW makes specific reference to 'Skoda Columbus'. It 'looks like' it has been updated - but I don't know enough about it.

The weblink provided above NOW makes specific reference to 'Skoda Columbus'. It 'looks like' it has been updated - but I don't know enough about it.

The link you've provided is for an audio/video adapter, that would allow you to connect up an external DivX player or a TV tuner, or similar. It's not MDI,as this is for audio only.

The MDI interface that Kufatec sell is this one:

KUFATEC GmbH - Volkswagen MDI Multimediabuchse MEDIA - IN Tiguan 36219

which has all the mounting gubbins for the centre armrest. This unit is also much more expensive than then glovebox mounted version.

Bagpuss.

For the glovebox install, you need the following VW part numbers:

MDI interface cable - 5N0 057 342 - cost approx £120

USB cable - 000051446B - cost approx £20

iPod cable - 000051446C - cost approx £20

It's just a simply case of removing the Columbus, plugging in the MDI cable and routing it into the glovebox.

Is it really just plug and play or is any coding via VCDS(VagCom) needed?

Do you know of the MDI interface cable is the same part number for the OctyII?

For the job to be truly plug and play, you also need the following from Kufatec:

KUFATEC GmbH - Kabelsatz VW Multimediabuchse MEDIA - IN MDI Tiguan 36418

In theory, you can recode the car to indicate that the MDI interface is now present, but the two VWs I've done recognised the interface and worked without recoding. YMMV.

Bagpuss.

When I ordered that MDI, that wasn`t just plug and play, because all the wires had to be connected one by one to that wire-chunk behing bolero. I didn`t do it myself, my professional friend did it. :eek:

You wouldn't happen to have a copy of the instructions that came with it that you could scan & email to me would you?