No Turbo boost..

No Turbo boost...

Hi to everyone here...I just joined up,and looking forward to being part of this cool site..I'm all the way in Cork,Ireland..

Anyway,,I have a 2002 Octavia 1.9 TDi. (90Bhp) Lately,and to be honest,I can't remember how far back,,I'm starting to have little,or No response from the Turbo. It does seem lively enough,but when it passes the 2000rpm,nothing really happens. On the few occasions I go onto the motorway,it's not to bad,,but if I'm in 3rd gear,put the boot down and going to change for 4th,As soon as it hits 3000rpm,it's like hitting a brick wall. It just more or less dies. Over xmas,on a very cold morning,I went to overtake a parked bus,and as soon as it hit 3000rpm,it actually cut out on Me. Took me 3 or 4 minutes to get it started again. It has been sounding a bit off,,but,,If I'm not looking to engage the Turbo,it would seem there is not a bother with it! It's going nto be seen on monday,and so far,the mechanic has ruled out the Air Flow Meter..(He disconnected it,and the car drove the same,No difference).

So,any ideas guys,,Or,,no doubt you'll have loads,,so,We'll try to narrow it down to just a few...

Thanks Everyone..

Sticky turbo puts car in limp mode at around 3000 rpm I believe. The vanes soot up causing it to overboost hence the limp mode. I don't know a lot about the diesel turbos though really so someone else will add to this at some point but the problem I've just described is a common one.

Ian

Cheers Lex...I was told that if it was a sticky Turbo vane/s,,that switching off the car,and starting it again cures this for a bit,,But,,This don't happen with mine...So many things could be wrong here,,it's frustrating at times..Grrrrrrrrrrrr

If it can be plugged in and the fault codes read that will be a start and give you something to search for similar threads on these forums. I think the fault code for the sticky turbo vanes is 17965, but it could be other things as well (leaking pipe work is another likely one)

With a 90, a sticky VVT mechanism is unlikely anyway; that usually only happens to 110s.

I'd lean towards a boost leak ATM, and those really require all the pipes, particularly the snakepit of small ones under and around the throttle body inspecting, and/or a session with a fault code reader.

If you're hitting a 'brick wall' at higher revs, could possibly be MAF (mass airflow) sensor related? If it was vane or boost pipe related, I'd expect it to be lazy on initial spool-up.

Again, as said, next step really is to get a diagnostic scan done, either by someone nearby with VAG-COM, or at a garage with diagnostic equipment.

Steve

With a 90, a sticky VVT mechanism is unlikely anyway; that usually only happens to 110s.

I'd lean towards a boost leak ATM, and those really require all the pipes, particularly the snakepit of small ones under and around the throttle body inspecting, and/or a session with a fault code reader.

I've changed plenty of 90bhp turbos because they were stuck.

I think the 90 only has a convential wastegate, not a VVT.

However, the wastegate can stick open.

Thanks kildare,,And,,Thanks to everyone else! I think now there could be so many things wrong with it,As you tend to get so many different ideas. But,,the help was great,,,Gave Me some ideas anyway...

Will be getting it seen to on monday,,So will keep it posted here,IF He can find what the problem is...

Fingers crossed!!!