Autosocks alternative to snow chains - recommended !

Just got back from the Alps in the Scout and seen Geoff Hoon's "everybody should fit snow-chains" nonsense.

Anyway, I can highly recommend a pair of Autosocks to stick in the boot.

Only used them for 15 miles of short trips around the resort we stayed in when it was really bad but the best example I can give you is on a steep 'estate' access road:-

1) Scout on standard Dunlops, ESP off and going downhill at 10-15mph (max):-

- ABS went ballistic

- stuck in an uncontrollable slide

- yanked on handbrake and de-clutched to eventually stop it...

2) Same road next day, with Autosocks on, maybe marginally slower (?!)

- Drove down, round and up other side (1 in 4 gradients) with zero wheelspin.

If you want them as a mobility aid and never get into / worry about the legalities on ski-trips of whether they qualify in snow chain areas, they're great.

Fold flat in a bag, 5 minutes to fit and remove on each front tyre. Apparently you stick them in the washing machine to wash them - next job.

Edited by postmanpat

Got mine from Roofbox.co.uk as they are the official importers / concessionaires etc. Size guide on there give you the kit you need. For the Scout on 225/50/17s I think they were kit 655 (?) for £64.95

To fit I found it easier to park with the front wheels square forward then you just stretch over the tyres as much as you can, move the car forward a couple of feet and stretch the rest on.

To remove do the same. - I turned the wheels first time round to give me more room under the wheelarch, but as more of the sock is under the tyre its actually harder. 5 mins per tyre max.

My personal best buy of 2009 so far !

Thanks.:thumbup:

On the way back down the mountain on Saturday, I was watching the poor sods getting soaked fiddling with their snow chains at the side of the road.

The other thing that sold me on these was that the German T.U.V tests tried the socks on dry roads at low-ish speeds for a reasonable distance (I think 30km). You wouldn't want to do that with chains - so for getting to and from work in urban / marginal conditions you wouldn't have to take them off until you got home.