Thinking of buying a Superb

Bluefox, how easy is it with an integrated unit like this, to fit an aftermarket sound system? I fitted one to my Ford Cougar and it was a doddle, but I didn't have factory fitted sat nav etc in that. The autochanger is a big step up from what I have in the Jag (had it on the Ford) so I'm happy, but having MP3 / WMA compatability would be a bonus long term.

On a Superb I, it's very very easy. The head unit itself just slides out, and if you want to fit a double DIN unit (like the DX sat nav) you just remove the drawer underneath.

The CD changer makes it a little more difficult, as in you won't get an OE changer to work with aftermarket units - but if you really want one then you can buy an aftermarket changer to match your head unit. Most people tend to use iPods or similar, they're generally more reliable.

Downside of course is that you will loose your Maxidot (information display between the clocks, assuming you have it) and your steering wheel controls unless you buy an interface. That said though, I think the benefits of increased sound quality and functionality of an aftermarket head unit far outweigh the drawbacks of the stereo info on the Maxidot and steering wheel controls, IMHO :)

But if I lose the maxidot display, will I lose the trip computer and car service etc indications?

Is the Head unit combined with the satnav, so I would lose the sat nav aswell?

Questions may seem a bit stupid, however I have never even had a proper look around a Superb, I'm just going by photos.

Cheers

But if I lose the maxidot display, will I lose the trip computer and car service etc indications?

Is the Head unit combined with the satnav, so I would lose the sat nav aswell?

Questions may seem a bit stupid, however I have never even had a proper look around a Superb, I'm just going by photos.

Cheers

All you lose is the radio station readout inbetween the rev counter and speedo, all the rest stays ok, and if you have a CD changer in the boot this won't work with an aftermarket unit, nor do the steering wheel controls (possibly a lead can sort that) and finally you need an amp thing for the ariel to retain the roof ariel booster, hth.

I had the same issue with my Cougar, however what you lose without the autochanger you gain by having MP3 compatibility.

What I really want to know is, if I change the head unit in the Superb, it does not effect the Sat Nav?

What I really want to know is, if I change the head unit in the Superb, it does not effect the Sat Nav?

Unfortunately the Sat Nav is a double din sized unit that incorporates all Radio and Cd controls,

Saying that the Sat Nav is a very old design and not the best on the market, but works better than reading a map book ;)

So if you do decide to upgrade the Radio etc you could always buy a head unit with sat nav aswell as mp3 etc.

Thanks for the confirmation. Looking at the centre stack, that is what I assumed.

Combined sat nav, mp3 units etc don't come cheap lol :eek:

Looking at possibly saving costs by getting a head unit with built in Bluetooth, but getting one that is Iphone compatible aint easy.

Thanks for the confirmation. Looking at the centre stack, that is what I assumed.

Combined sat nav, mp3 units etc don't come cheap lol :eek:

Looking at possibly saving costs by getting a head unit with built in Bluetooth, but getting one that is Iphone compatible aint easy.

My advice is always to have separate units for separate purposes - headunit for the sounds, hands free kit for the phone.

For example, Parrot CK3000 evo's can be had for as little as £50.

As for the iPhone - try going to an audio shop with your iPhone and trying it. Halfords, for example, have the stereos installed such that you can connect your iPod etc straight into the demo units to try for yourself.

Well, I say that, they should...

Bluefox, the problem is that I do not currently own an Iphone, I am thinking ahead.

The cheapest I have found the Parrot is around £80, I would be tempted to just buy it from Halfords and get it fitted there.

The best value Sat nav + DVD + CD / MP3 IMHO seems to be this one

Kenwood DNX5220 Navigation System With DVD Receiver for £499 (without bluetooth)

The kenwoods have Parrot built in, but require an additional adapter.

If I had anything like this fitted, would it effect my Skoda warranty?

Its a costly option, not sure whether it is totally necessary

Bluefox, the problem is that I do not currently own an Iphone, I am thinking ahead.

The cheapest I have found the Parrot is around £80, I would be tempted to just buy it from Halfords and get it fitted there.

The best value Sat nav + DVD + CD / MP3 IMHO seems to be this one

Kenwood DNX5220 Navigation System With DVD Receiver for £499 (without bluetooth)

The kenwoods have Parrot built in, but require an additional adapter.

If I had anything like this fitted, would it effect my Skoda warranty?

Its a costly option, not sure whether it is totally necessary

Yeah, you did say that, sorry, I forgot :o

That Kenwood unit looks good value for money. We sell one at Halfords which is similar, but retails at about £900 with us. Free fitting mind :lol:

I think they'll say that if the unit has caused the "problem" with the car, then they'll not cover under warranty. I know dealers can be a bit funny but I've never seen them refuse warranty because of an aftermarket stereo.

Decent headunits are a doddle to fit to the superb:

DSC00121.jpg

Just open the ashtray, grab the bottom of the fascia under the climate computer and pull it towards you gently, the whole panel will pop off easily giving you access to the cage screws behind. For a big install job like a double din, you need to file down the plastic DIN cage edges - they stick out at the top edge making your radio stick out of the dash by a few mm...

I'll post some pics of the AVX-810 jvc unit I've installed when I get home this evening :)