ARBs and Braces, types, etc..

Hi, I've just been reading and searching about ARBs and Strut Braces, and boot braces (not sure what they are really called, the type that sit between your inner arches in the boot and upset wife cus she cant put her vanity case in there anymore)

I've seen lots of info, pics, fitting guides etc, but could someone explain the difference between front, rear ARBs, and strut braces, in terms of what they are supposed to do for handling? Which mods effect what.

Cheers!

(read between the lines and you'll realise that I've just got the vRS, im not sure if the handling is good or not, and not sure if I should be thinking about these sorts of mods or not)

Car has a front ARB as standard but no rear ARB. The rear ARB when fitted stiffens up the rear trailing arms of the axle/subframe, this gives more positive road holding, and reduces lift off over-steer.

Strut braces stiffen up the inner wings, and prevent wing flexing. As the suspension strut tops are mounted to the inner wings, a strut brace reduces any angular changes in the struts under EXTREME driving conditions. For normal road use they are little more than boy racer trinkets that look good. :D

Biggest handling factor of a used VRS will be down to choice and condition of tyres. Also console bushes are prone to wear, as are drop links, and when worn, the handling suffers. The car also clunks if these are worn.

As Moggytech says very little is gained by the strut braces. The biggest improvment for not a lot of cash is the rear ARB. you can fit one in a couple of hours yourself.

Sorry, disagree with the strut brace comments.................

Found mine to be stiffer with the brace than without it, more feel etc (placebo effect if you like.....dont think so though)

awaits to be shot down in flames (as usual :P)

Ok thanks for the suggestions gents, I'll have to save the pennies for a rear one then, and make it a sunny Saturday project. Looks like the Whitelines ones are most affordable, any thoughts on these quality wise? I can search about for other opinions but thought you might be able to give an opinion here :)

Think the Jabba ARB is thicker than the whiteline. Also the whiteline is adjustable (3 settings if memory serves)

Think most people would go for the Jabba one (the name is probably a big factor here) plus its a thicker one for the more "spirited" of drivers ;)

What i can gather, the whiteline is just as good, cheaper and allows adjustment, albiet thinner slightly

HTH