MK4 Golf GTI Seats

I wanted something a little more supportive but just as comfy as the OEM seats, I was very nervous of buying some new seats as I wasn't sure what to expect as I hadn't tried these before.

Having upgraded from my Standard Elegance seats to the MK4 Golf GTI seats in search of a more supportive seat I haven't been dissapointed.

I bought the seats from a 5 door car knowing everything will be identical and should cause me any issues and they also contained airbags like the OEM seats. I removed my OEM rear seats and replaced with the GTI seats in less than 10mins, 1st thing to note is these seats only come with x2 3point seatbelts other than that a straight swap.

The front seats were a little more difficult to fit, following the Haynes manual I disconnected the car battery, removed the seat runner covers/un-bolted the seat/slid it backwards and disconnected the airbag plug and removed the seat, upon fitting the new seat is fitted in the runners with NO problem however the airbag plug was different, so 10mins later I had cut the Skoda plug off the wiring loom & soldered the VW plug on and fitted the seat then I carried out the same steps on the passenger seat then connected up the battery, NO airbag lights came on so all done.

Setting the seat, took a minute or two and I could set the seat to the same position as the OEM seat at this point I noticed I've lost lumber support which I thought could be a problem but this was put to rest in the test drive.

When I went for my 1st drive I noticed that I was sat in a seat that was a little softer that the OEM however the sidebolsters came a little further round which added the support making it feel quite a firm, controlled, comfortable place to be. The base on the seat is also slightly longer than the OEM seats, I'm only 5ft 8ish and this didnt cause me a problem even though I have quite short legs, if anything I liked the extra support that was given.

Having also had a mk1 octavia vrs I found the GTI seats much more comfortable than the vrs seats, the vrs seats felt much harder and feel like you sit on them and not in them like the GTI seats.

OEM/GTI Comparison

IMG_0015.jpg

Front Seats

IMG_0023.jpg

Rear Seats

IMG_0021.jpg

Rear Seats with Armrest down

IMG_0022.jpg

These seats are given a big :thumbup: for their comfort and cost.

Did these live upto my expectations? Yes, these seats far exceeded what I was hoping for and are the perfect upgrade. The comfort is very much like OEM although the extra depth in the side and base boulster are fantastic and finish these seats off a treat.

For those people wanting something more supportive but NOT over the top these seats are a perfect upgrade path, you won't be dissapointed.

Edited by matt@theforce

Definately worth doing, I put the leather ones in my 4x4 & it made a massive improvement.

Glasd to see you have a proper garage, full of "stuff"

I was actually quite nervous buying them and not wanting to waste money but found them superb value for money and a great improvement in comfort and support.

The garage is much tidier now although it still contains the same amount of stuff, not to mention 2 sets of car seats on the new shelving I've built. Thats what a garage is for ;)

• 5 months later...
Does anyone know if their is an adaptor made for the airbag connector so that MK4 seats could be fitted without having to chop any of the plugs?

I fitted them in a 52 plate Octy 1 4x4 & didnt need an adaptor & no plugs needed chopping. I was advised to disconect the battery though during fitting to avoid the possiblity of an air bag going off. I had a few wires left over as the seats I bought were heated & I had intended at some point to wire them up