Boing!

Hi I have a problem with my 99 Octavia 1.9 TDI When setting off I get this "boing " from the front nr side spring. Can anyone tell me what parts I need to order to carry out a repair & is it a difficult job to do The car has just passed its m.o.t. Can u help?

Tel :confused:

Hi Ken Thanks for your reply. The boing seems to bewhen I,m moving off, with a lock on, I lifted the bonnet today & the plate on top of the wing had actually lifted clear of the body by about 4mm.The passenger side (which is where the boing appears to be coming from ) was a I would expect it to be sitting tight to the body. so it seems like u have hit the nail on the head so to speak, Would u no if its a major to carry out the work. I have done lots of work on a variaty of cars but never tackled this before & I have got a spring compressor!

Regard Tel

I lifted the bonnet today & the plate on top of the wing had actually lifted clear of the body by about 4mm.The passenger side (which is where the boing appears to be coming from ) was a I would expect it to be sitting tight to the body.

This is correct, and how it should be. Steering angle, and road camber have an affect on this. Unless both wheels are pointing straight ahead and the road is completely level then one side will be higher than the other.

I'm willing to bet it was the same as I had last week. The spring had fractured before the top small coil. The top small coil sits in the spring seat. Inside the bonnet, the top cover is supposed to be clear of the wing. If it's pulled down tight, likely what usually happens is what has happend to yours. The exposed section of spring is bigger than the seat so springs up into the wheel arch and pushes on the car it's self, rather than on the spring seat. This means the bearing isn't in play and hence the noise as you twist the wheel.

Stop typing, jack the car up and get the wheel off, get a torch in ;-)

Greg.

Hi Ken Thanks for your reply. The boing seems to bewhen I,m moving off, with a lock on, I lifted the bonnet today & the plate on top of the wing had actually lifted clear of the body by about 4mm.The passenger side (which is where the boing appears to be coming from ) was a I would expect it to be sitting tight to the body. so it seems like u have hit the nail on the head so to speak, Would u no if its a major to carry out the work. I have done lots of work on a variaty of cars but never tackled this before & I have got a spring compressor!

Regard Tel

Mine is doing the same. Since both plates are sitting 4mm above the wing (as I believe they should be) I'm hoping it's just the bearing (as it is only a £5 part).

With some careful use of spring compressors, does anyone know if it's possible to change the top bearing without removing the strut? I have managed to do this on a mk3 golf but don't know if there will be enough space in the octy's wheel arch.

iep

HiGreg The car was sittng on our level drive but the drivers side " sticky up bit " moved from side to side as I turned the wheel. The "boing " side where the plate is sitting flush to the body didn,t move at all. As u say get the thing jacked up & have a look but it will have to wait a couple of weeks unfortunately, places to go people to see, as they say You wouldn,t happen to have the part No,s I would need to order would u & can I get those items from a motor factor?

Tel

VAG p/n should be 1J0411105C @ £66.12+ for the estate, bearing 1J0412249 @ £6.79+. pm me your VIN or check it with the dealer though as I did that off a facelift estate.

Aftermarket p/n should be RC1703 from KYB judging by the box in front of me for the spring. You should not be able to notice any difference from genuine for that, I use aftermarket springs & genuine nearly everything else.

Get a new strut pinch bolt as it will be likely well corroded, makes the job easier.

Greg.

HiGreg The car was sittng on our level drive but the drivers side " sticky up bit " moved from side to side as I turned the wheel. The "boing " side where the plate is sitting flush to the body didn,t move at all. As u say get the thing jacked up & have a look but it will have to wait a couple of weeks unfortunately, places to go people to see, as they say You wouldn,t happen to have the part No,s I would need to order would u & can I get those items from a motor factor?

Tel