Engine sound through the revs

I'm about a month into my first Skoda ownership - Octavia Anbient Estate 1.9TDi MY08. No problems up to now [touch wood] and very happy with it, but noticed something over last few days that has started to bug me.

The engine is nice and quiet, except at 1900-200rpm. I'd describe it as a low level throaty roar, which would be OK if it were only when accelerating, but it's also there when driving at a steady speed. It's not that it's loud as such, just that it's different and now that I've noticed it, it distracts me.

It's definitely the engine, as it's the same in all gears. And guess what; on my journey to and from work it seemed that the traffic was always going at a speed which meant I needed to sit at 1900-2000rpm.

I'm sure I'll get over this, but could it be a sign of a problem?

Anyone elses do anything similar? Any mechanical reason to explain the phenomenon.

Got the car new, now about 900miles on clock.

Ta

Edited by MTB
Added mileage and TDi info

Don't want to set alarm bells off but I've heard this might be the DMF (dual mass flywheel) if only at specific revs. Does it do it all the time, and under load, and out of gear?

It does it all the time and both going up and downs the revs. It is more easily noticeable in higher gears, and louder still with more load e.g. going up an incline in 5th. I gave a mate a lift home and he didn't notice it until I pointed it out but could hear it then.

I tried it stationary and out of gear, and it's harder to hear but there's a definite change in sound.

I had no idea what a DMF was/is. I've done a search and I'm now worried. There is no juddering at low revs/speed when pulling away, and no spluttering jumping when changing gear, and I don't get the sense of something vibrating when I hear the noise.

[i have had one 'rough' start on a particulary cold morning. I put this down to a mis-fire rather than vibration, but that was before I'd heard about DMF's:)].

The Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) helps smooth the vibrations from the diesel engine.

When they start to let go they tend to introduce vibration into the car at specific rpms usually under load. you may also get clutch judder when pulling away.

Driving in top gear while accelerating in the low rev range up a long uphill motorway stretch will normally show up a DMF problem. It feels like a wheel out of balance if anything.

Have you checked all of the plastic intake piping and tupperware under the bonnet? some of it can vibrate loudly. I had it on my 2.0TDI and attacked the air intake assembly with a roll of gaffer tape. Its also worth checking the engine cover is secure.

Had a couple of good runs over the weekend and as you say the noise was most prominent up a long incline on the motorway in 5th at 1900-200 revs (~60mph).

My wife was in the car and couldn't hear the sound I was referring to until the uphill section, but once she heard it could pick up the noise some of the time when at the same engine revs but in other gears.

This thread

http://briskoda.net/octavia-ii/140pd-noise-accelaration-1400-2000-rpm-hi-gears/140683/

has a good description of the noise I hear - growling and a slightly blowing exhaust - but he's done 32, I've just gone past 1k in a month.

I don't get any sense of increased vibrations or shuddering, just the noise. Any other suggestions?

It looks like I'll have to get in touch with the dealer but I hope I won't need to find a long stretch of uphill motor way so that he can hear it.

Did you have a rummage under the bonnet for any loose bits? Get someone to rev the car through the range where you hear the noise with the bonnet up to see if you can pinpoint anything that might be the cause.

The lack of shudder and the low mileage makes a DMF problem less likely.

:iagree: e

Mine is gaffer taped up quite nicely :rolleyes:

I'm going to araldite mine together ;)

Have you got a picture of which parts you have gaffer taped together?

As i find the piece under the slam panel is quite flimsy and moves up and down also.

The bit that is attached to the slam panel by 2 screws you mean?

The whole assembly does move up and down too much and is prone to vibration, I originally noticed it driving through a multi storey with the windows down.

I do intend to formulate a permanent mod that is more substantial than gaffer tape sometime soon :D

I don't have a pic but i'll try and remember to do one tomorrow :thumbup:

I've basically taped up the little cover on top of the scoop as the clips have snapped off, i've also taped the joint between the scoop and the rectangular section that attaches to the slam panel.

I found the rear engine cover clip caused a rattle but that might be specific to the 2.0TDI like mine.

Yes the one that attatches to the slam panel, i've often taken the "U" bend out from between the scoop and the air box.

I broke the clips on the top piece, so thats been replaced...but moving the scoop you can see the two parts moving around.

I just need to be less lazy and make a fix.

Edited by Browny_37

Lol, i actually meant i need to be less lazy hahaha!

Understood, I was just giving myself a slap with the lazy stick for not bothering to carry out a more permanent fix that doesn't involve a roll of sticky tape :D

HaHaHa!

You've got further than me! I usually opt to take the "U" bend out at times. Far lazier ;)

Thinking of it, i've took the even lazier option and started using the volume nob on the headunit far more frequently. Combined with tuning out from the various rear door rattles, dash vent creaking noises and the loose boot lid trim clip.

Got to say its the newest car i've ever had, but the most annoying in terms of vibration.

By reading your descriptions i don,t think its DMF related but i know mine is.

I know when i accelerate in the same rev range the engine sounds quite "harsh" when turbo cuts in.My car judders in reverse and through the gears.If i hold it at 30mph in 4th driving normally the juddering is always there and when i accelerate in 5th at over 50mph the engine shakes so i know mine is DMF but i think yours is just harsh like most 1.9,s are just being 8 valve engine and not 16 valve like the 2.0.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. I'm hoping it's nothing serious and hopefully if it is the Skoda warranty will look after me.

I'm going to email the dealer to give all the symptoms before going in as it will be a nightmare trying to explain it on the fly.

None of the 'local' dealers are that local, so has anyone any good, bad or indifferent experiences of the Morecambe, Preston or Carlisle main dealers. I'll take it back to the one I bought from as they were ok during the purchase, unless anyone has any service related horror stories.

Finally sorted mine today, i took each individual piece apart on the scoop and araldited them together.

Stopped for the time being.......game on!

Proper job! :thumbup:

I'm still thinking about doing mine................................ someday :rofl:

I have previously posted on 24th December 2008 a question relating to engine drone at 2000 revs.

You description of problem to your car sounds very similiar to mine. I have so far had the car looked at twice by my dealer who doesn't seem to interested in my problem and seems to claim that they all do it....which I know is not the case.

I would be very interested to hear what progress you make with it. My car has now done nearly 19,000 miles (a Nov 07 Ambiente Estate 1.9 tdi) and the noise at 2000 revs and 3000 revs consistently remains.

The noise is spoiling my enjoyment of the car, and whenever I drive it I am reminded of the problem. By the way I have never had any problems with clutch judder and the car tows a caravan.

Cheers

I would add my previous thread but I don't know how to!!

I have previously posted on 24th December 2008 a question relating to engine drone at 2000 revs.

You description of problem to your car sounds very similiar to mine. I have so far had the car looked at twice by my dealer who doesn't seem to interested in my problem and seems to claim that they all do it....which I know is not the case.

I would be very interested to hear what progress you make with it. My car has now done nearly 19,000 miles (a Nov 07 Ambiente Estate 1.9 tdi) and the noise at 2000 revs and 3000 revs consistently remains.

The noise is spoiling my enjoyment of the car, and whenever I drive it I am reminded of the problem. By the way I have never had any problems with clutch judder and the car tows a caravan.

Cheers

I would add my previous thread but I don't know how to!!

I've read your post and my issue seems identical to yours, so your not alone. I don't rev it to 3000 very often, but agree that the the car is as noisey at 1900 as 3000 and very quiet in between.

I'm in the process of writing the email to the dealer detailing the issues and asking how best to deal with it. [i'm doing the email first as I can see problems trying to explain the issues and getting my points over if I phone them or just call in].

A mate at work has the same car [2 years old] and that is fine.

Let me know how you get on and I'll do likewise.

Any dealers reading this? How would you respond? Is just one of those things that we'll just have to live with?

Ta