Fabia I VW Polo Rear Aero Wiper Fitting Guide

andy2407

Here's a quick photo guide to replacing the rear wiper on a Fabia Mk I with the VW Polo Aero Rear Wiper.

Note: You undertake this modification at your own risk. Neither I nor Briskoda can be held responsible for any loss, damage injury or malfunction arising from this modification howsoever caused.

The replacement kit is designed for a VW Polo MkIV (aka Mk6, VW 9N, 2002–) and comprises....

• Aero wiper arm (Part Number 6Q6 955 707 C)
  • Aero wiper blade (Part Number 6Q6 955 425 A)
  • Cap (Part Number 6Q6 955 435 D)

Cost is around £25 (March 2009).

Here is the original Fabia rear wiper...

FabiaRearWiperGuide-Before.jpg

Pivot the plastic cover off to give access to the retaining nut. This can then be removed with a 13mm spanner...

FabiaRearWiperGuide-04.jpg

It may be possible to remove the existing arm by giving it a strong pull. However, if the retaining nut has been previously overtightened, you may need a screwdriver to carefully lever it away. DO NOT push directly against the glass!

FabiaRearWiperGuide-08.jpg

Pull the wiper away from the rear glass and remove...

FabiaRearWiperGuide-09.jpg

Slide the new wiper arm onto the splined shaft, and fix in place with the 13mm retaining nut...

FabiaRearWiperGuide-10.jpg

The wiper blade is fixed to the arm by means of a sliding locking clip.

Open...

FabiaRearWiperGuide-14.jpg

Closed...

FabiaRearWiperGuide-15.jpg

The new cover (right) is a few millimetres higher than the existing one (left)...

FabiaRearWiperGuide-18.jpg

The little tabs inside it need to clip over the protrusions on the arm (seen here at about the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions) and the cover needs to clear the rear screen...

FabiaRearWiperGuide-34.jpg

I filed it using a belt sander, but you can just use a file...

FabiaRearWiperGuide-24.jpg

Original...

FabiaRearWiperGuide-20.jpg

After sanding...

FabiaRearWiperGuide-29.jpg

Rough edges were removed with a file...

FabiaRearWiperGuide-32.jpg

Finally, the cover was clipped into position on the car...

FabiaRearWiperGuide-37.jpg

And to show the finished result, heres a comparison with the original pic in this guide...

FabiaRearWiperGuide-After.jpg

Thanks to skudmissile for his assistance in putting this together

Edited by andy2407
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

It looks very similar but I'm no expert on the Polo variants.

There is a phone number on the Ebay advert so I'd suggest giving them a ring and checking the part numbers match those given above

• 1 year later...

Hi Luke,

Parts have to be ordered from VW unless you can get them through

trade contacts. Us mere mortals have to go to the main stealer :D

When I ordered Mrs Grrs one for her car I saw a sign

on the wall behind the parts counter saying they would

only supply parts for VW cars and not other VAG marques.

Luckily, when they asked for a reg number I gave them the mother

in laws because at the time she had an 07 plate Polo ;)

Might be handy to have a valid polo reg scribbled down

if you see one or know somebody who has one.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Old arm seems to be stuck on very tightly. Tried levering it off with a screwdriver, but it scraped a chunk of the black plastic ring from around the bottom. Not levering against the glass and put some oil in between the splined shaft and old arm. Any other suggestions?

Edit:

WD-40 did the trick. I hang my head in shame for asking such noobish questions :$

On another note, rear washer is now working! Taking the rear panels off and tracing the pipe work was going to be the next task....but thank you for this guide that gave me the confidence to get a cooler wiper!

Edited by fsa

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I've just replaced mine standard wiper with the polo one, thanks very much for putting the thread together andy2407 its made it nice and easy to see how to go about it.

Has anyone found that the blade presses to hard against the glass? mine presses against the surface of the window far to hard directly in the middle of the blade forcing it to bend the blade and therefore not clear the window correctly, also its very noisy on each change of direction (after completing each wipe) as the blade rolls over and is dragged the other way, I would really appreciate anybody with a solution to help me out?