Cause for Concern?

Hi, I have a 2001 AUB 1.4 16v Fabia. I have noticed it seems to be eating a fair bit of oil recently, and can see traces of it around the OUTside of the throttle body the black bit of the engine cover which sits over it. Inside it seems to be clean enough. After reading round a bit I still haven't worked out what it is. It seems to be either a valve of some sort needs cleaning, the piston rings are gone, or my air filter is clogged.

I have cleaned it off breifly with a tissue but and will wait to see if it builds back up. In the mean time; is this a cause for concern, and which of the things is it most likely to be? (Please not piston rings!)

Thanks in advance,

Joe.

Check PCV system isn't blocked. Also check to see how much oil is inside the air filter housing. Could be excessive blow by gases, due to worn rings and bores. (Compression test will tell you lots about engine state of health)

Thanks for your reply.

Air filter is clean enough, nothing out of the ordinary. On the compression test it got roughly 175PSI per cylinder which I think is about right.

On closer inspection burnt oil is coming out of the exhaust pipe under heavy loads and after the compression testing it was a lot worse, almost like a deseil.

Any more ideas would be greatly recieved,

Joe.

Thanks for your reply.

Air filter is clean enough, nothing out of the ordinary. On the compression test it got roughly 175PSI per cylinder which I think is about right.

On closer inspection burnt oil is coming out of the exhaust pipe under heavy loads and after the compression testing it was a lot worse, almost like a deseil.

Any more ideas would be greatly recieved,

Joe.

You should see some trace of oil in the air cleaner housing, if there isn't any then you may have a blocked crankcase breather hose, the one that goes from the side of the air cleaner down the back of the engine. These engines have a habit of getting heavy condensation, forming the well known 'mayo' in the crankcase vent system. I also change my oil every 5k miles using halfords 10/40 and the odd engine flush. Coming up to 80k miles, hardly use any oil. The leak round the throttle body is no big deal, new o ring is a few quid, half hour job to change.