Spare Key

Hi I need to get a full spare key cut. I currently have a 3 button flip key but only 1 came with the car when I bought it. I've enquired at the stealers and they quote me £120-£130. I'm not sure if VW dealers would cut it cheaper but does anybody know the most cost effective way of doing this, which is not too complicated?? Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Where did you buy it from? Should be 2 full function keys plus at least one other "mechanic" keys. I had 4 for my first superb.

I've heard (on here so a search might show you) that others have had problems going down the cheap route, so a dealer is perhaps the hassle free option. Do you have a code for the key?

Where did you buy it from? Should be 2 full function keys plus at least one other "mechanic" keys. I had 4 for my first superb.

I've heard (on here so a search might show you) that others have had problems going down the cheap route, so a dealer is perhaps the hassle free option. Do you have a code for the key?

Brought it from auction and despite my complaint and their extensive search they could not locate any of the spare keys.

The only 2 codes I've got is for the radio and the sat nav.

I only had 1 key when I bought my Superb. After looking on forums and doing some extensive research the safest option is the Dealer.

DO NOT use Ebay as it is a lottery. VW will not code skoda keys, something to do with link to Skoda for authorisation.

I ordered mine on a Monday and arrived Tuesday. Coded my key to seats and central locking myself and booked in on April 11th for immobilser code. Total cost is about £130.

Hope this helps

DO NOT use Ebay as it is a lottery.

eBay is fine providing you make sure you buy an un programmed transponder and not just a new uncut key - there is a BIG difference.

The transponder is either £3 (non CAN based cars) or £15 (CAN based cars) from somewhere like Hickleys.com (both + VAT & P+P).

The first thing you need however is the SKC code, without this you cant program the transponder, the SKC code can be obtained with VAG Tacho (and VAG Commander) software. The new transponder can then be programmed with VCDS.

Things to make sure are:

The transponder has not been programed before (they can only be done once)

The remote is the same part No. and frequency as your existing remote.

Only use a Skoda remote on a Skoda etc

It is pretty much the same process as a MK4 Golf.

I have just done this for SHMBO's MK5 Golf (CAN based) and all in it cost WELL under £50 (including fuel costs).

• 1 month later...