Drivers window stuck half way

A few weeks ago my drivers side front window stopped working and when i pressed the button to wind it down all i got was the motor clicking so thought it was the regulator.

I managed to get a motor and regulator today and fitted it but it was the same (press the button and just hear clicking from the motor)

Any ideas what it could be, It also happens sometimes on the back passenger driver side rear door aswell.

When i hold the key in the drivers door all windows open and close but not the drivers door which is now stuck half way.

With the window being open half way is ther an "emergancy overide" to get it to shut as the regulator will not budge and i now have had to resort to putting plastic sheeting over the drivers door :mad:.

Is this a problem anyone else has had or come accross as its doing my nut in.

Cheers

I'm sorry that this is not helping you but I am having the same problem, my rear passenger side window just clicks when i press the button. I was going to try a new motor, obviously its not as simple as that.

I'm sorry that this is not helping you but I am having the same problem, my rear passenger side window just clicks when i press the button. I was going to try a new motor, obviously its not as simple as that.

At least im not the only one with this problem :rolleyes:.

I cant understand why it clicks when you press the button but refuses to wind the bloody window down.

Any help would be great, I feel its going to be wiring but dont know where to look, Skoda say it may be water ingress and will cost around £500 to sort, I said the car is 11 years old this year so not going to go down that route, lol.

Any pointers guys. :thumbup:

I am not overly familiar with the electric windows, but if it won't go up, it may be because it thinks the window is already up. I assume it determins that by the amount of load on the motor when travelling in either direction. Only otherway it could determine if the glass had reached its distance of travel would have to be some form of sensor?

If you have replaced the motor, then I assuming the window rails/guides are all clear, etc?

Cheers, all the channels are clear and I have took the motor and regulator back out and just connected it to the car and switch modual but it still wont work.

Sometimes the back passenger door does this and i have to slam the door hard to make it work again, its only playing up on the drivers side of the car.

what baffels me is that the drivers window refuses to budge even when trying to do full window closure from the key in the drivers door.

I was thinking it may be the switch modual but then with it not closing when using the key in the drivers door am begining to think it may be something else.

Thanks again.

Break in the wiring loom between the door and the car maybe? Water ingress into a connector block (if there is one) maybe?

iirc, the main control box is mounted behind the headlight switch so maybe that is sending the "close" command but the motor/regulator isn't getting it, and thus window does not close.

Is a broken wire, then it could either be on the switch side, or on the feed to the motor....

Had a mess about with it again and it actually started to work up and down then after a few mins it went back to normal just clicking sound from the window motor.

Looks like i will have to get the loom out and go thru it but if its ok then dont know what it could be.

Just propped up the window now with a bit of wood :mad: least its shut.

Got it sorted, it was a cracked red cable that runs through the door jam so removed the whole door loom and cut the corroded cable out and replaced with new cable.

I also looked at the back door which was also having the same intermittant problem of just clicking on the motor when pressing the switch and found the same problem (red wire corroded) just fell apart when i tried to move the wires.

I have found that the thin cables that run through the door jams are more durable and its the thick cables (brown and red) that always seem to be prone to cracking, maybe its because the thicker the cable the less flexable it is.

Just thought i would let you guys know how i got on and now the windows work fine, What a job though.

Break in the wiring loom between the door and the car maybe?

Thanks, after a bit of investigating i found it was a broken cable (the red thick one that runs through the door jam)

It was that bad that the cable had suffered from electrolosis and the copper core was blue with corrosion:rolleyes:.

Cheers

where was the wire bust? was it behind the door card or in that rubber boot that goes from the door to the pillar? was it easy to replace?

cheers bob

The damaged cable was where the rubber boot between the door and car but it was just as it entered the door i had to take the wiring loom out of the door which is not too bad, just a cases of removing the door card and disconecting allthe plugs from the door componants like window motor, electric mirrors and door lock etc then remove the panel where the bonnet realease lever is as its behind this panel that the door loom connects into the main car loom its a black block type connector.

I then cut out the dodgy section of wire and replaced with by soldering in some new wire where it was damaged.

The cable that was the worst on mine was the red one and when i had the loom out also noticed the brown earth wire was starting to crack in the same way so replaced this in the same way as described above.

The thin cables seem to be more durable its the 2 thicker cables (red and brown) that seem to be the ones that crack and break.

I will try and post some pictures of the damaged cable soon, just that my phone dosent like conecting to a pc running vista at the moment :rolleyes:

Hope this is of some help.

Could point me in the right direction to cure my radio/cd problem. Cuts out for no apparrent reason, I open drivers doors for second or two and then it all works ok, often for several days before doing it again !

Here are the links to the damaged wires...

This was the condition of the drivers door loom as it passed through the door to car...

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj41/justinbarrow/Carwiring3.jpg

Then this is the back door with the same problem in the same place...

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj41/justinbarrow/Carwiring4.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj41/justinbarrow/Carwiring5.jpg

So if you are having problems with the windows check this first, as I went and got a whole new regulator and motor which wasnt needed, Still i suppose it will come in handy at some point.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 years later...
On 07/04/2010 at 20:52, Jonj1611 said:

Hi,

I know its an old post, but just got a new window motor and I have the same problem, don't suppose you have the pictures to repost do you? The links aren't working anymore

Thanks

Jon

On 07/04/2009 at 18:30, justinbarrow said:

Here are the links to the damaged wires...

This was the condition of the drivers door loom as it passed through the door to car...

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj41/justinbarrow/Carwiring3.jpg

Then this is the back door with the same problem in the same place...

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj41/justinbarrow/Carwiring4.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj41/justinbarrow/Carwiring5.jpg

So if you are having problems with the windows check this first, as I went and got a whole new regulator and motor which wasnt needed, Still i suppose it will come in handy at some point.

Hi John & justinbarrow ,

I have same issue with my driver side window and got struck in the middle and not moving up or down but only making click sound when i press the button .. i have replaced the window lifting assembly and it worked for sometime and again end up in same issue !! can you please re post the pictures please .

Regards

Baskaran.V

Edited by bhaskaranv