Throttle body

My recent service reported that there was a "slight build up" on the throttle body. Am quite keen to clean it up, but looking at my Haynes manual, I cannot find anything called a throttle body. Is it the same thing as the throttle valve control unit? If so, this does not seem too difficult to take off and clean up. The only complication is that it will require a new gasket / o-ring when refitted. Where would I get the right gasket? Is a VAG dealer the only option, or are these common parts?

Also, what is the best way to clean the part? Will a damp cloth do it, or will it need some kind of degreaser?

Carb cleaner is best.

Really it needs resettting afterwards with VAG COM.

Oh, that's a PITA. Am I right in thinking that the throttle body and the throttle valve control unit are one and the same?

Yes they are the same. It's fairly easy to do. Once you've removed the air filter there are four allen screws to undo and the throttle unit will lift off. If you leave the multiplug connected you won't have to re align the throttle. Check that your egr pipe is clear at the same time. As Lummox said, carb cleaner is good, I used used a combination of engine cleaner and lime lite. The o ring is a square section silicon thing, main dealer only but not expensive.

Yes. As you say, you need a new O-ring (about 3 quid from VW/Skoda dealer- if it's a PITA to get there, try site sponsors Pullman Skoda), and Lummox is correct that you really should use VAG-COM to set it afterwards.

Removing and cleaning it is dead easy, or was on our Lupo. Two bolts for the air cleaner- though I removed the top and cleaned out the breathers with carb cleaner as well- 4 bolts, 1 plug and the throttle cable to unclip (though the Fabia might not have a throttle cable). Carb cleaner, cotton buds and kitchen roll worked to clean it, press the seal back in on the manifold, bolt it back down- do not overtighten or you'll warp it. Refit the bits you removed, align with VAG-COM.

Some people do it in-situ, but it's better to take it off- you don't want loads of carb cleaner or even worse, other stuff, in the inlet manifold, and it's easier to access from both sides.

It took me about 40 minutes to clean very thoroughly and refit including removing/cleaning the airbox, and I took my time. It seems to have removed the occaisional hiccup the car had.

Edited by cjb