Octy 2 Xenon Headlight - Auto Levelling

Hi folks, I've had Octy's for the past 7 years, 3 cars in total, 2 of them have had xenon headlights. Now as far back as I can remember when you turn on the lights, engine running, they move up and down, to self level. For the past couple of weeks my L&K has seemed to have stopped doing this and normally the beam from both lights look like one line across the road, now they are slightly out of line. The drivers light beam pattern is lightly higher in the middle compared to the passenger side pattern, like a sort of ghost line between them. Sounds weird but its a little hard to explain. My question is this, if there was an issue with the self levelling system, would I get a warning light for it ? Is there anything I can do to get the car to reset the leveling or is it a dealer job ?

Ok thanks for the input guy's, the car is still under warranty so I suppose I should book it in with the dealer, theres a few other things that need checking whilst its there. Many thanks :thumbup:

Edited by cj_uk

if you have removed the h/l for any reason (continental driving?) and also removed the electrical connector, the headlight 'forgets' where normal is and stops doing the pre flight check movement - at least mine did!

A quick trip to the dealers sorted it out though.

They only level as the car is started. You'll only see this if you have lights on whilst starting.

As for beam pattern, the cut off on ours looks like and elongated M, with passenger side of RH light pattern being highest.

HTH.

They dont level when the lights are turned on, otherwise you'd blind other road users ;)

Sorry, and with respect, I don't think you are in a position to comment with any authority what my car's headlights do or don't do ;).

Your cars headlights might not, but as I said previously, mine definitely do the dance when I turn them on ! Maybe the Oz cars are set up different somewhow, but I really, really doubt it. I don't know what yours do, but I am absolutely certain about what mine do.

Maybe you have your lights switched to the auto setting all the time - I control mine manually (to prolong the life of the HID globes).

Mine don't blind other road users, because they start in what seems to be the normal position (but not fully bright at first), they immediately (ie in less than 1/2 second) go DOWN (not up) a distinct amount, then they come back up to normal position and build up to full brightness over 2-3 seconds. So they are never aimed in a position above normal ( which would dazzle other drivers).

They have done this since new.

What sort of dance do other owners Xenons do (and when do they do the dance) ?

I suppose it is possible mine is a freak ?

Your cars headlights might not, but as I said previously, mine definitely do the dance when I turn them on ! Maybe the Oz cars are set up different somewhow, but I really, really doubt it. I don't know what yours do, but I am absolutely certain about what mine do.

They will be set the same across the VAG range, regardless of market.

At what point are you turning them on? If you listen after turning the engine on, approx 5-10 seconds later you'll hear the zzz zzz noise of the headlights levelling ready for use. Have turned my lights to manual and checked.

Maybe you have your lights switched to the auto setting all the time - I control mine manually (to prolong the life of the HID globes).

The life of the HID bulbs is much longer than you think. There's really no need to do this. They'll still be working after you've sold the car on ;)

They have done this since new.

What sort of dance do other owners Xenons do (and when do they do the dance) ?

I suppose it is possible mine is a freak ?

Sounds like you have a levelling sensor fault.

See - http://briskoda.net/octavia-ii/xenon-leveling-help/87266/

Or search for "Xenon bounce" :thumbup:

Well as soon as I get it back from the dealer I'll let you guys know the outcome, they've got a few things to do other the lights, like all the badges (wheels, grill, hatchback) have all corroded and the rear washer just about dribbles :D

Sorry for the delay, right my car has been to the dealers and they have informed me that the auto levelling is working correctly. Apparently they had one of the technicians site on the front cross member (by the radiator) and turned the headlights on, they moved up and down then levelled. I must admit I felt a bit of a fool, but the Service Manager asked me when did this start, was it at around the time change (GMT to BST) which I said yes, he replied that its possible that its a case that the times I travel to and fro to work are now lighter and thus the lights sense this ?? well not sure about that so I'll have to see

Sorry for the delay, right my car has been to the dealers and they have informed me that the auto levelling is working correctly. Apparently they had one of the technicians site on the front cross member (by the radiator) and turned the headlights on, they moved up and down then levelled. I must admit I felt a bit of a fool, but the Service Manager asked me when did this start, was it at around the time change (GMT to BST) which I said yes, he replied that its possible that its a case that the times I travel to and fro to work are now lighter and thus the lights sense this ?? well not sure about that so I'll have to see

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

What a complete and utter load of rubbish!!!!!

No luckily the car is still under warranty, so no charge :D All being well (with having a job that is) I'm planning to change this year to a Mark 6 Golf. I've had Octy's for 7 years, they've been great value for money, but its just the VW CR engine is SO much quieter than the old PD. I don't want a RS so unless Skoda pull their finger out and get the 140 and/or 110 bhp CR diesel engines from VW I'll have to change badges :( Thanks for the advice chaps I'll get the missus to sit on the front and I'll try the headlights myself.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay, but I eventually got round to testing the lights at the weekend. I stood in the back whilst the SWMBO started the car and turned on the lights. The lights did a little dance and settled, so that answers my question. Many thanks for your input guys, much appreciated, now off to test drive a MK6 Golf :D