Where is best / cheapest to get a replacement Keyfob?

My wife has an Octy2 with only 1 key and no key codes card.

I tried to get a second hand (ebay) key re-coded by the main dealer some time ago but they failed.

I have a blank key cut correctly that works but no working fob.

Can you tell me wherre the best place to get a working key fob is? Without a code card do I have no choice but to go via a main dealer? Any alternatives? Are the prices likely to vary among main dealers?

Many thanks!

Jon

Second hand keys need the immo chip removing and replaced with a clear new one. The chips (which look like little glass pills) can only be programmed once. They only cost a tenner from online retailers.

If I can find the link to the shop I got mine from for my 2.8Q A4 I'll post it up. The chip is right by the "flip curl" of the key blade and will require you to split the key plastic along it's seam to get to it.

Second hand keys need the immo chip removing and replaced with a clear new one. The chips (which look like little glass pills) can only be programmed once. They only cost a tenner from online retailers.

If I can find the link to the shop I got mine from for my 2.8Q A4 I'll post it up. The chip is right by the "flip curl" of the key blade and will require you to split the key plastic along it's seam to get to it.

......Which when all is said and done sounds like a complete bodge job. I certainly wouldn't be happy with my dearly beloved being reliant on this.

Get the job done properly, with a proper new key, properly coded, at the dealer!

Err "bodge" ? The keys ARE designed to be splitable. By all means spend over £100 for new keys and programming when you can spend £25 for a chip and programming from a friendly dealer.

In fact York Audi programmed mine (as I didn't have the SKC for the car) all in for £18.50 and as I only needed the older style immo chip that only cost me £7.50....... ALL done properly via my local dealer..... Infact the parts guys even advised me down that route as they agreed the price for new keys was mad.

I can't see how

"certainly wouldn't be happy with my dearly beloved being reliant on this"
is an issue. Once the immo chip is programmed it works.... full stop. It's not like the car will blow up when you insert the key and turn the ignition. :rolleyes:

I found it was very diificult to get the correct immobilser chip (aka RFID or transponder) for late model Octys. I tried several (new) ones without success.

I ended up buying a key blade half (with correct immobiliser chip) from my dealer and a remote half (with the buttons) from fleabay (make sure you get the correct part number and frequency). That was significantly cheaper than buying the whole key from the dealer.

As stated by others, you need the SKC from the plastic holder that comes with a new Octy and VCDS (vagcom), otherwise it is a dealer only job to program the car's ECU to recognise the new key (and all others, so don't leave any spare keys at home).

Thanks for all the replys guys. It will only be the spare key so I'm not too worried about it all being brand spanking new. I do have a couple of follow up questions though...

1) Please can someone tell me how to identify the frequency / type of the current key so I can see whether my spare is useable.

2) Does anyone know a source of new IMMO chips for Octy2 keys or do I need to try to go down the 1/2 key route with the dealer?

Also, anyone know any decent main dealers down South (we're in Wimborne, Dorset) as our local dealer isn't great...

Thanks for all the replys guys. It will only be the spare key so I'm not too worried about it all being brand spanking new. I do have a couple of follow up questions though...

1) Please can someone tell me how to identify the frequency / type of the current key so I can see whether my spare is useable.

2) Does anyone know a source of new IMMO chips for Octy2 keys or do I need to try to go down the 1/2 key route with the dealer?

Also, anyone know any decent main dealers down South (we're in Wimborne, Dorset) as our local dealer isn't great...

Could try a locksmith ( a proper one not the key cutters) -have seen ad for one (and seem to remember AA man telling me about one locally they use ) .They have latched on to stealers closed market and see a few bucks to be made .Even read recently of a guy (on another forum) finding this for a LUPO GT .

Interesting bit about the fobs -i.e the transmitter - my Furby dont have remote etc ,but I have modded the rear hatch with a KEYLOQ kit( very secure technology as it's key hopping) - about £10 for a three channel key -operates about 434meg .

Would be interesting to see if it could be adapted .

With the transmitter ,programming is only very simply ,done from the transmitter program button .

Err "bodge" ? The keys ARE designed to be splitable. By all means spend over £100 for new keys and programming when you can spend £25 for a chip and programming from a friendly dealer.

In fact York Audi programmed mine (as I didn't have the SKC for the car) all in for £18.50 and as I only needed the older style immo chip that only cost me £7.50....... ALL done properly via my local dealer..... Infact the parts guys even advised me down that route as they agreed the price for new keys was mad.

I can't see how is an issue. Once the immo chip is programmed it works.... full stop. It's not like the car will blow up when you insert the key and turn the ignition. :rolleyes:

Well done you - sodding fantastic - go and get your medal. So you have spent, what, £25 quid, and how much time fannying about getting codes and programming this and that. All I'm saying is that not all of us have the time or the inclination to do this preferring to get the job done by the dealer with a virgin new key. End of!

Well done you - sodding fantastic - go and get your medal. So you have spent, what, £25 quid, and how much time fannying about getting codes and programming this and that. All I'm saying is that not all of us have the time or the inclination to do this preferring to get the job done by the dealer with a virgin new key. End of!

About 20 mins. 10 of which were booking the car in at Audi, ordering the chip and buying an ebay key fob. The other 10 splitting the key and replacing the chip. :rolleyes:

Guess you didn't read the bit about not having the SKC and just letting York Audi doing it all :rolleyes:

All I'm saying is that not all of us have the time or the inclination to do this preferring to get the job done by the dealer with a virgin new key. End of!

Then you have the choice of going to the dealer and getting shafted over the cost of a new key.

Nobody is forcing anyone to get a replacement key done this way, purely pointing out there is a MUCH cheaper way of getting it done. :rolleyes:

About 20 mins. 10 of which were booking the car in at Audi, ordering the chip and buying an ebay key fob. The other 10 splitting the key and replacing the chip. :rolleyes:

Guess you didn't read the bit about not having the SKC and just letting York Audi doing it all :rolleyes:

:orb_clap:

Below is the part No. & frequency No.

info.jpg

closeup.png

Full details are here (same principle as the Golf)

Hickleys.com sell the transponders give them a call to see which one you need for the MKII Octavia (probably a TP23 - same as the MK5 Golf with Immo4)