In Car PDA

Just wondered if anyone uses a PDA for their in car ICE system?

I have an IPAQ 214 and use mortplayer as the media player.

It has car skins that are easy to use as you drive and also you can download loads of really cool skins.

My only concern is the cable mess, The PDA would need a 12v supply and the audio out to the stereo.

If it would work I`m sure it would be a total system all in one.

I really dont want to replace my head unit. Also the sound out of the hp214 is surprisingly good.

I also want the flexibility of the PDA software, i.e. be able to play videos, get e-mails, link to the internet etc when i`m stationary.

The largest SD card is around 64GB now so no issue with staorage.

Most pdas that ive seen use the 2.5mm jack, a 2.5 to 3.5mm jack is easy to find on ebay, etc. Maybe there is a docking station that will charge and provide audio out with cables hidden out the back? I previously used a mda pda phone as part of my ice setup, but wires were a problem, just never got round to finding a decent docking station

Something like this? Slightly modded for audio? Fitted flush to dash/armrest/ashtray/wherever?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-Charger-Cradle-Dock-for-HP-IPAQ-200-210-211-212-214_W0QQitemZ380075831511QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_LaptopAccessories_RL?hash=item380075831511&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Also, check the spec for your pda, just because the newer cards are 64GB doesnt mean your PDA supports them ;)

I have looked into it further and some PDA`s now come with USB Host to enable you to plug in any USB device including a hard drive.

1 Guy has even got one working with a 1TB external drive.

Another possibility is to feed the sound out via bluetooth to a hidden receiver.

I have a Brodit active holder for my phone (XDA Serra/HTC Touch Pro) which is wired into the car, holds it great and charges the phone when the ignition is on. I routed the cable through the dash and out a blank switch above the radio, just had to cut a notch out of the blank. Adding the wire for the connection to the radio wouldn't make much of a difference especially if you can get a HU with the input on the back, that will keep the wires tidy.

I don't use if for music though as I have a Blaupunkt HU with SD card slot + USB and ipod connectors.

One thing is what is the largest memory card your IPAQ can take, my current phone will do up to 32gb but my old HTC wizard can only do up to 2gb, also I don't think either has a USB host controller thingy madoobry so you can't plug usb drives into it.

I would take a picture of my car but its too dark at the mo.