Need advice on performance upgrade - MK1 Octavia VRS

Hi Guys,

I own & love a 4 year old MK1 Octavia VRS. I have done some upgrades to it last year - Remapped the ECU (Custom Code Stage 1), Remus Exhaust, K&N Typhoon kit.

The car is awesome except I have a few flat spots around the 5000 rpm range (any advice?)

I am planning to do additional upgrades and would like you to advice. The options I have considered are

1) Upgrade Brakes - Brake pads have worn out so need to replace any way. Should I spend additional for upgraded brake kits? Which brand?

2) High performance clutch - what difference can i expect? which brand? I do a lot (approx 50%) of city driving (mostly rush hour) - would that affect the performance or life of a high performance clutch?

3) Irridium spark plugs

4) Coil Packs - I am told Hitachi coil packs are a great upgrade with the Irridium Spark plugs - can anyone confirm this?

Anything else I should be considering?

Thanks

Chintan

You shouldn't really need to uprate the clutch, coilpacks or spark plugs, the standard ones are fine. The coilpacks are known to fail but can just be replaced as and when that happens.

You could get some decent brake pads and brake fluid as a simple brake upgrade. Big brake kits are available but they're not cheap and only really worth doing if you intend to take the next step and go for a big turbo and big power.

As for the flat spot, try cleaning the throttle body and see if that helps. It could also be a quirk of the map, or how the various valves and pipes respond to the map (N75 valve etc)

Another option might be a Front Mounted Intercooler... that would be my next step really...

Forge do their Proper one which costs around £600 when done or go down the universal route which costs £200 to £300 depending on which parts are used....

As for Brakes ... uprating to Branded Discs and Pads like EBC Greenstuff or Black Diamonnd is a good option too...

People on here used to swear by Ferodo DS2500 brake pads. Don't know if that is still the case but them (or similar) with a change of brake fluid should give you ample stopping power for the performance i'd have thought.

How's the Remus exhaust?

Worth trying a different N75 (H or J) for the flat spots.

Wouldn't bother with front mount intercooler- charge cooler is better + cheaper, although not sure if many people have done this. It's gonna be next on my list after the brakes.

The Ferodo DS2500 are awesome, although they have a high metal content, so the dust can really eat into the wheels.

Awesome have got a good offer on zero sixty discs at the mo. Think I'm gonna go for the Brembos from GSF + Black Diamond Fast Road/track? pads.

People on here used to swear by Ferodo DS2500 brake pads. Don't know if that is still the case but them (or similar) with a change of brake fluid should give you ample stopping power for the performance i'd have thought.

How's the Remus exhaust?

Hey Thanks guys. All good advice. Keep it coming.

Smerko - I am personally happy with the Remus Exhaust. At low RPM it has a good low growl to it. At higher RPM the engine noise is all I hear!! Its not a loud exhaust, but thats what I personally like. I had made all the three modifications at the same time, so cannot comment on how they individually affected performance. But overall I am able to shave off more than a second in a 0-100 Km per hour dash. Earlier I had clocked at 8.6 sec, now can do it in 7.3 sec. I think if I am able to sort out the turbo flat near the 5000 rpm, I could probably do it in 7 sec.

Quite a few recomendations on the valve, so I am definately going to check it out. In other posts I have read about the Forge DV007 seems to be highly recomended....should I go for it?

Thanks

Chintan

Oooh you copy cat :D

Mine are in the garage ready to fit.

I sure am! :rofl: Been looking at loads of different combos, and this seems to be the best for the price. Saw your thread, and sounds like the discs are really good quality :thumbup: Gonna get the Brembos front and rear, Black Diamond Fast Track pads front, Predators on the rear. Works out at around £275 all in, which is pretty damn good imho! Will have a go at fitting them all myself...

I thought maybe the fast track pads might be a little hard for every day driving (I'm not saying they will be) so went with the fast road pads for the front to be safe. The Brembo high carbon disc's are supposed to provide additional grip compared to standard cast disc's too, or so the box says lol

I got the EBC grooved and dimpled discs and BD Predator pads. ace combo.

stops well cold and when warmed up its even better.

lol

what is this charge cooler??????????

I got the FMIC and i think it looks ace and is a brill addition.

get the rear anti role bar done mate!

billy

what is this charge cooler??????????

It's probably one of those sleeve things that goes round the boost pipework and uses CO2 or water to cool the pressurised intake air. Much more compact solution than a FMIC and I suppose you could still run it with a SMIC as well.

is it def flat spots? is it just not the little turbo running out of puff at about 5k? :confused:

ive got a cat and downpipe and fmic, but still theres only so much a lil turbo can do, and still about 5 it starts giving up :rolleyes: maybe i could sneak des's turbo out when he isnt looking, that would help :rofl:

if you are after a clutch, dont awesome do a ecs stage 1 full kit? comes with a smf too

a chargecooler is a water to air cooler rather than an air to air cooler, its where the boost pressure passes through a rad which has water running through it being pumped to another rad at the front that loses the heat. they aren't more efficient at all, yes they create less lag than a FMIC but they lose less heat, retain more heat so become less effective over time, they take power from the engine(to run the pump) and cost more. generally they are only used on cars which limited space otherwise a properly designed and fitted front mounted intercooler is the right way to do it :)

Is the flat spot a trait of the Custom code map?

I ain't got no flat spots with my generic custom code phase1 map:thumbup:

Could the flat spot be caused by the standard DV he has fitted??

I had to fit the yellow spring in my Forge 007 DV

Hey guys,

i got the Forge DV installed today. Quite a difference - acceleration seems much smoother. Flat spots mostly seems gone...

Thanks a million for all the advice.

Regards

Chintan