Which oil to use?

Hi there I have an 05, 105 hp 1.9 tdi octavia with 19000 on the clock. It is on variable service at moment. The oil in it has been in for year and half now I fancy changing it. What oil would you guys recommend? Not concerned about cost just want good quality oil in engine.

Many Thanks Fergus

Hi - think you are in the wrong forum ! Anyway I had a 2005 130HP 1.9TDi Superb on variable and there was a specific VW spec for it. I used Castrol GTX 2 for top-ups, I recall. I had a leaflet in the handbook pack all about oil, as I recall, with the VW spec in it (Format is VW 50605 or similar but I think that particular spec was the one for 10000 mile servicing , not variable)

May be something in the Service Booklet or the handbook itself

If you want to play the VAG game you need 505 - 507 spec oil

If you are a risk taker and believe in conspiracies then you might want to opt for any good quality fully synthetic oil in the 0-30 5-30 oil brackets, I've been running VX 5-30 @ 12k per change for the past 40k on a 90k engine without any problems, I get a good discount on it, but retail it's as expensive as VAG oils, I did see on the shelf at VW some semi stuff that meets all the requirements for around £27 per 5 litres, so that might be the way to go for you, the top stuff is nearly £60 btw.