seat replacement

hi can anyone tell me whether any other VAG car seats, front and back could directly replace the ones i have in my octavia 1 estate?

mk4 golf gti / recaro / r32 seats

bora gti / recaro seats

mk1 seat leon fr / cupra seats

Audi S3 Recaros

I'm sure there are others but they come to mind.

Edit:

Golf GTI

Recaro

R32

Edited by matt@theforce
Audi S3 Added

Here's a photo of the Golf GTI seats I had in mine.

2.jpg

I had to take them out as the wife said they were 'too huggy'. She was pregnant at the time and was very conscious about her expanding figure.

They're just sitting in the loft right now while I wait for a suitable excuse to fit them again.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the pic! Was going to post up about these, keep seeing them around and am very tempted as I could really do with some more support around the corners... but wasn't sure how they'd go looks-wise with the vrs interior. Looking pretty good to me! How do you find them in comparison with the standard items?

Also, thanks to Matt - didn't see that they were links that you'd posted, thought it was just a list...

It seems the seats in skinnyman's octy lie somewhere between the standard GTi seats and the Recaro items in terms of support/comfort. Though if there's no lumbar adjustment, that'll sway the recaros for me - I often fiddle around with it after a few hours in the car, playing double bass for 2 hours between 3 hours plus driving each way does nothing for the health of your spine! Food for thought there, thanks for posting up your reviews of the various seats you've tried.

Some of the GTI seats do come with lumbar support. I'm in the process of selling my Recaro's and have just bought some of the older style Bora GTI seats and they have come with lumbar support. I'll try and get some pictures up when I get back home tomorrow.

Also, thanks to Matt - didn't see that they were links that you'd posted, thought it was just a list...

It seems the seats in skinnyman's octy lie somewhere between the standard GTi seats and the Recaro items in terms of support/comfort. Though if there's no lumbar adjustment, that'll sway the recaros for me - I often fiddle around with it after a few hours in the car, playing double bass for 2 hours between 3 hours plus driving each way does nothing for the health of your spine! Food for thought there, thanks for posting up your reviews of the various seats you've tried.

Sorry, Was in a bit of rush when posted so didn't put any pics into the thread. Have done so below.

I think you will find that the GTI seats that Skinnyman has are the Newer shape GTI Seats that changed in the Golfs around 2003 where as the GTI seats that I've bought have all been prior to 2003 golfs.

I also remember seeing some S3 Recaro Seats in someone's Octi on here and I can't remember who it was. Will dig around and see it I can find it.

Piccies

Front Seats GTI

IMG_0023.jpg

Rear Seats GTI

IMG_0021.jpg

Rear Seats GTI Armrest

IMG_0022.jpg

GTI vs Recaro

P1060294.jpg

Front Recaro Seats

P1060334.jpg

Rear Seats Recaro

P1060341.jpg

Front Seats R32

IMG_1917-1.jpg

Is there any lumbar support on the GTI seats in yours skinnyman? I don't see an adjustment kn*b?

No, but they were brilliant in terms of the cornering support. However, the lack of lumbar support was an issue on longer journeys I must admit. I reckon I'll turn them into a Top Gear style pair of seats for my bloke room I'm planning.:thumbup:

Matt, thanks so much for the info - really helps to see them all side by side!

I'd previously eyed up the s3 recaros, they look the business but I can't afford much and would have to sell the vrs originals - hence the worry about how an upgrade might look come resale, though I hope to keep the vrs for a long time to come. IMO the s3s and r32s look the best, but I wasn't sure how the two-tone dark grey vibe from the various Golf options would look in the vrs. Judging from skinnyman's pic I think they come off rather well :)

Also interesting to read that the older GTi seats are more supportive than the vrs seats - I'd always assumed that they were the same seat but covered differently. I'm also surprised that the guy you bought the recaros off missed them even with the plush-looking S3 jobs as a replacement - not all that glitters, etc. etc.

Whereabouts are you based Matt? Those recaros still going? PM me if they are!

Cheers

Sam

Matt, thanks so much for the info - really helps to see them all side by side!

I'd previously eyed up the s3 recaros, they look the business but I can't afford much and would have to sell the vrs originals - hence the worry about how an upgrade might look come resale, though I hope to keep the vrs for a long time to come. IMO the s3s and r32s look the best, but I wasn't sure how the two-tone dark grey vibe from the various Golf options would look in the vrs. Judging from skinnyman's pic I think they come off rather well :)

Also interesting to read that the older GTi seats are more supportive than the vrs seats - I'd always assumed that they were the same seat but covered differently. I'm also surprised that the guy you bought the recaros off missed them even with the plush-looking S3 jobs as a replacement - not all that glitters, etc. etc.

Whereabouts are you based Matt? Those recaros still going? PM me if they are!

Cheers

Sam

Sam,

I sat in the S3's that were replacing the Recaro's that I bought and despite them looking really nice they just didn't seem to hold you like the Recaro's do.

The vRS & GTI seats do look very similar but I found the vrs foam's to be very hard compared to the GTI seats which helps you sink into them and feel a little more supported.

I agree though, the R32 seats look like they have to be the ultimate seat

Take your time when looking around for some seats, it took me a long time to find some Recaros that didn't have any sagging boulsters and where the cloth on the drivers boulster wasn't that worn.

Matthew

The vRS & GTI seats do look very similar but I found the vrs foam's to be very hard compared to the GTI seats which helps you sink into them and feel a little more supported.

I also noted that the rear seats from the Golf are noticeably heavier than the vRS version, especially the back rests. Why this should be the case I don't know, but it's worth noting as we all know extra weight = reduced performance.

Cheers Matt, sounds like the recaros are the way to go for me. R32 is the ultimate I agree, but my standard vrs isn't worthy of the 'R' brand! More importantly if I had that much to spend on them it would've already gone on a few other items I probably didn't know I needed before (this site is dangerous!)

There's a set up for sale not too far from me, in leather to boot, but salvaged from an accident damaged vehicle by the looks of it as the driver's side seat airbag has been deployed and the whole side of the bolster needs restitching... Not even sure where I'd get that done, or how much it would cost - any suggestions anyone? I'm in SE London so Seat Surgeons are a bit out of the way!

I think I actually prefer the cloth covers in some ways, no freezing in winter/boiling in summer, but if the leather set goes cheap and it's a simple fix I wouldn't turn it down :)

Thanks for all the info though, very useful to know as I'd been coveting the S3s for a little while, all because I assumed they'd feel as good as they look... Good to find out what actually works :thumbup:

maybe they have heated seats?

What car are those full leather recaro seats from?

My old felicia had really comfy seats (L&K). But the octavia ones are aweful !

They never made heated seats for the rear seats, the rear bases are quite light a about the same weight as the Octavia seats but the back rest is where the extra weight is.

The above leather seats are from a Golf R32 but the pic above is of Cupra_matts special Octavia 4x4

• 1 month later...

Just a quick question on an old thread as it's relevant......do the front seats from a suitably aged TT run on the same size rails as the Octavia, Golf IV, etc?

If so, what age did the TT shape change, cos surely the seats would've changed then too?

I'm not bothered about changing the rear seats and am happy to keep the seat covers on them but am fed up with the covers on the fronts.

I did a search but couldn't find a thing......

TIA for any info!

Steve

No, but they were brilliant in terms of the cornering support. However, the lack of lumbar support was an issue on longer journeys I must admit. I reckon I'll turn them into a Top Gear style pair of seats for my bloke room I'm planning.:thumbup:

Late model Golf GT tdi seats are identical to the GTi seats but have lumbar as well :thumbup:HTH