Catalytic Convertor life expectancy

Does anyone know what the likely life of the cat on a MK1 Octy VRS is?

I might be about to get a second hand one, and my only concern is that it could be near to the end of its life. I appreciate it depends on use (or abuse!), but is there an accepted average lifetime for the cat?

Thanks

What happens when they fail?

Hello,

The emissions will climb and you will end up with a car that won't pass it's MOT test.

The cat honeycomb inside becomes blocked and can even start to crumble and collapse.

Shop around for best price for a replacement, and save money.

Good-luck. Ian. 05/06/2009 :thumbup:

HongKong,

If you need a standard OEM cat convertor, I have one wrapped up in my loft, it is in perfect condition and came off my Mk1 Octy vRS, when I had a Blueflame turbo back fitted.

Its done just 35K miles and had just passed the MOT test on mine when it was taken off.

£40 if you get stuck and need it, and if you fancy getting a real deep shock, ring up your local dealer and ask for the exchange price of one, just make sure your sitting down when they tell you....LOL