Wonky Power Delivery 140 TDi Manual

Hi

Has any one else suffered the same problem I have? When I'm plodding around at low speed for any length of time (and I mean any, 1 min - 10 min) the power delivery goes all over the place.

Particularly noticeable is when I'm below 1500 rpm and then the car will judder when cruising. There is also a noticeable lag when I put my foot down followed by a surge. Similarly when I take my foot off the power quite it will sometimes delay dropping the revs.

When this occurs the tickover revs drop slightly and when I get out of the car there is a strong smell of burning rubber or oil, not quite sure which.

Because this fault is intermittent and never happens when I'm at the garage they can't tell me what's wrong. I had a very similar problem with my Seat Leon FR which a colleague now drives and she has told me that a Seat recall fixed the problem but she can't tell me what they did.

Drives me up the wall and makes driving the car less pleasurable than it should be. I'm getting my dodgy clutch sorted and would like them to fix this whilst it's in for the week.

Anybody that's heard of this and could shed some light please could you help.

Cheers

I have experienced exactly the same condition, mainly after cruising along at 50mph in 6th gear for 10 minutes. Getting into the habit of changing down a gear to keep engine revs above 1500 will eliminate the problem. The handbook suggests you change up gears at between 2000 and 2500 revs.

Hi

Has any one else suffered the same problem I have? When I'm plodding around at low speed for any length of time (and I mean any, 1 min - 10 min) the power delivery goes all over the place.

Particularly noticeable is when I'm below 1500 rpm and then the car will judder when cruising. There is also a noticeable lag when I put my foot down followed by a surge. Similarly when I take my foot off the power quite it will sometimes delay dropping the revs.

When this occurs the tickover revs drop slightly and when I get out of the car there is a strong smell of burning rubber or oil, not quite sure which.

Because this fault is intermittent and never happens when I'm at the garage they can't tell me what's wrong. I had a very similar problem with my Seat Leon FR which a colleague now drives and she has told me that a Seat recall fixed the problem but she can't tell me what they did.

Drives me up the wall and makes driving the car less pleasurable than it should be. I'm getting my dodgy clutch sorted and would like them to fix this whilst it's in for the week.

Anybody that's heard of this and could shed some light please could you help.

Cheers

I have noticed a sort of lumpiness or "misfire" symptoms when trundling along. thinking about it, it does always happen in high gear, low revs, constant speed situations but not in all such situations. Always goes away and is not very frequent but made me wonder when it did.

Now I know what it is !

I've felt my CR 170 doing this recently. The DSG box is usually in 5th (possiblt 4th), with a light, even throttle in a 30 limit, and only a couple of miles from home, first thing in the morning.

Chatting about a mate who used to have a passat had the same problem. Maybe it's a VW group problem. Thing is my Leon was 170 tdi as was my mates passat so not the same engine. For me it's not so much the stuttering below 1500 it's more the overall power delivery being terrible. Has anyone noticed the smell of burning rubber/oil when they get out?

I wonder if it's a sensor that needs replacing or a hole which only appears at certain temperatures.

Thanks for replies so far. Driving me mad!