fabia vrs gearbox

jimmy9uk

does anyone's vrs gearbox vibrate a lot when put into fourth? this is happening more and more when put into fourth at speeds of around 30mph and 40mph. it happens when i accelerate away and then stops.

it's not because the revs are too low as it never used to happen, the engine isnt labouring at all.

if no one does have the same problem, has anyone any ideas of what may be causing it?

I've just cured a vibration when accelerating in 3rd and 4th fro about 1700-1800rpm.

It seemed to be comming from the gear lever area, but (thanks to Des) it turned out to be the passenger seat belt buckle rattling on the centre console and was easily cured by placing a rubber bung on the buckle.

Try it. I thought my rattle was from the under the centre console, but fortunately found the solution before ripping the interior apart :eek:

If you putting it into fourth gear at 30 mph you are labouring it.

The vibration comes from the dual mass flywheel, keep doing it and eventually it will break, select a lower gear and keep the revs up a bit higher.

If you keep the revs around 2,000 - 2,500 youll find you economy is alot better, dont drop the revs to low and try and accelerate in too higher gear.

Thats what I thought Ross, but strangely in 30 limits I get better economy in 4th, which at 30 mph is 1,500 rpm. In 3rd its around 2,000 rpm and its clearly worse on fuel. Also, I dont feel the engine is being laboured at 30 mph in 4th, but then your gearing might be different to mine. On the car I test drove way back last year, I could only use 3rd in a 30 limit. I find if I wish to accelerate hard in 4th from 30 onwards, it is possible by gently easing the accelerator down and dont floor it until its got about 1900-2000 rpm on the tacho.

Rolling along in 4th at 30 mph isnt the problem, the problem arrises if you try and accelarate hard from that speed. The torque request from the engine is huge and usually thats when the boost builds up to maximum (was when my car used to pop pipes off when boost was first upped to 1.6 bar).

It is very apparent when driving a remapped TDi, you soon learn to drive around the vibration by learning to drop it down a cog and like you say use progrssive control on the accelerator, youll find progress is made much quicker and produces less smoke than flooring it straight away.

• 1 year later...
does anyone's vrs gearbox vibrate a lot when put into fourth? this is happening more and more when put into fourth at speeds of around 30mph and 40mph. it happens when i accelerate away and then stops.

it's not because the revs are too low as it never used to happen, the engine isnt labouring at all.

if no one does have the same problem, has anyone any ideas of what may be causing it?

Mine doesn't vibrate, and I've been generally using 4th gear when driving at 30 MPH for 20,000 miles. Like yours it isn't labouring either, and the fuel economy drops significantly if I use 3rd instead. It doesn't labour until down to 25 MPH.

Ive had my fabia remapped (to about 180bhp) and i can if driving in too lower a gear i.e. if i booted it in 3 4 5 or 6 without using it in the correct rev band the torque that the engine was producing was too much for the gearbox. The dual mass fly wheel wont be able to take this constant punishment and will break, drop a cog and youll find a smoother and faster acceleration and less smoke and more mpg :)