Cambelt due

Hi I need to get the cambelt replaced as mileage is now just gone over 60k. From reading some of the other threads the recommendation seem to be to get the aux belt, tensioner and water pump replaced at the same time. Is it essential to get the water pump changed at the same time?

I've been quoted by a local VW mechanic to do all the above, using genuine equipment, £350-375 for part and labour. How does that sound?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not essential to change the water pump at all .... however they're known to be prone to failures after a 4+ years and it's a cheap part. In order to replace it the cam belt needs to be removed .... so the thinking behind it is, whilst the cam belt is off why not change it as a preventative measure.

As for the price, yeah that's about right. I've heard of some cheaper quotes and some more expensive. If memory serves right I think they allow 3 hrs to change the cam belt and the parts cost them around £60-ish so £375 sounds right.

I'm fortunate in that I have a friend who's a master tech going to show me how to do mine soon. It's not difficult from a technical point of view .... just never having done one before and with it being such an integral part of the engine I'll be glad for someone with experience to guide me through it.

yeah as stated get a water pump fitted while your there

as for the aux belt and tensioner, they are not vry common to go but a new aux belt wont cost the earth, wouldnt change the aux belt tensioner tho

price aint too bad, i could make a killing if people lived closer lol lol

I live near chester:D

And im looking for a good mechanic who knows his way around a pd engine

He's a good lad Chris, won't steer you wrong and knows his stuff.

On a sidenote, when he's finished working and about to leave just check your car still has a stereo and alloys ...... he's scouse you see. :rofl:

He's a good lad Chris, won't steer you wrong and knows his stuff.

On a sidenote, when he's finished working and about to leave just check your car still has a stereo and alloys ...... he's scouse you see. :rofl:

:rofl:

im not the one with mersyside in my address tho clowns

:rkick:

• 2 weeks later...

My '06 2.5V6 has just turned 60K, so I am looking to get all this work done as well. Anybody between Liverpool and Southport who can do this work without me resorting to the rip-off rates from the dealerships? I much prefer the idea of paying about £320 for this work rather than £600+!!!

My '06 2.5V6 has just turned 60K, so I am looking to get all this work done as well. Anybody between Liverpool and Southport who can do this work without me resorting to the rip-off rates from the dealerships? I much prefer the idea of paying about £320 for this work rather than £600+!!!

Awesome

:)

I think you will be lucky to get this done on a V6 for £320 odd.

My Dealer has quoted around £800 for all this work on mine. They did say they would give me a good discount on this when I want it done in October. We will see???

Not sure what I should be paying for the V6, it is the diesel not petrol if that makes any difference, I would just rather avoid using the main dealer and paying his prices!

How much is it likely to cost me if I came to Chester? Is that where Chris is, I'm a bit confused!!!

I just got my 2.5TDI done, full service, water pump replaced camblet aircon regassed all fluids changed including brake fluid, all filters changed pretty much whatever you can think of for £850 at Pulman Skoda - main VW dealer. This may give you some basis for cost to go off

I think just timing belt by its self was between 400 to 500 quid

I'm coming up to a similar service with my 2.5TDI. Lummox quoted me a very reasonable £560 all in for (VAG) 2 x belts, tensioner / damper, water pump, oil / fuel / pollen / air filters /oils - I just wish I was a bit closer to MK.

My local Skoda stealer (Guildford) quoted £960 for the same work..........

Also locally 2 with-it lads ex Colbournes Guildford have set up VAS Motion conveniently next door to my office in Guildford and have quoted £325 for labour; GSF have quoted £115 for the cambelt kit (Belts, roller, damper) and £38 for a water pump. Labour includes fitting a new pollen filter (filter extra) and checking my chamber.

It's because Milton Keynes has cleverly and unilaterally constructed a money making scam.

Nowhere else in the world is this 4 year/60k miles recommendation applied, it doesn't appear in any properly printed literature supplied with the car - the service book gives the correct mileage with no limitation on time.

A great revenue generator - scare tactics combined with newish car "love" (ie fix at dealers) and intervals arranged so as not to affect the fleet market - can't fail. A licence to print money.

rotodiesel.

Nowhere else in the world is this 4 year/60k miles recommendation applied, it doesn't appear in any properly printed literature supplied with the car - the service book gives the correct mileage with no limitation on time.

rotodiesel.

It's true .... I asked the question in an "off topic" thread on the German language section of the BMW K bikes forum, as I know that a high proportion of the technically literate participants in Holland and Germany would be driving Audis, VWs and Skodas, and sure enough, not one single person had ever had a cam belt changed on a time basis, and nor had a dealer ever mentioned that 4 years was the limit. Everyone said that they always had the work done at the distance intervals stated in the service book, and that, as you would expect, Europe is NOT littered with VWs, Audis and Skodas with broken engines.

It's because Milton Keynes has cleverly and unilaterally constructed a money making scam.

I dont know if its necessarily that...

I think its more of a liability thing... so if your cambelt fails outside of the change interval they recomend then its you that has to foot the huge bill for the repair.

No manufacturer will accept any liability for a product beyond the guarantee period. The most you might get is a "goodwill" contribution (a percentage of their highly inflated price for fixing the problem) provided you have already spent a fortune having the vehicle serviced by a VAG dealer.

Milton Keynes have their business finely honed to make the best possible job of raiding your wallet.

rotodiesel.

Manufacturer or importer? There's a difference here.

You may have noticed I don't give money to the motor trade without a fight. An extended warranty is about the last thing I'd buy - just look at the tie-ins (servicing) and the list of exclusions. Robbery.

Choose your vehicle running gear specification carefully, avoid known dogs and look after it.

rotodiesel.