Battery problem ,engine light.

bob1

I managed to almost drain my battery of power the other day,i didn't really notice much at first but then i had problems starting over the last couple of days.

I disconnected the battery to charge it up and all seemed fine with it starting up straight away, now my engine light is on all the time.

I put a test meter on the battery and its reading 12.5v without any load,is this right, it seems a little low to me.

Could it be time to replace the battery?

Car is a fabia 1.4 mpi 2001.

I managed to almost drain my battery of power the other day,i didn't really notice much at first but then i had problems starting over the last couple of days.

I disconnected the battery to charge it up and all seemed fine with it starting up straight away, now my engine light is on all the time.

I put a test meter on the battery and its reading 12.5v without any load,is this right, it seems a little low to me.

Could it be time to replace the battery?

Car is a fabia 1.4 mpi 2001.

and its reading 12.5v without any load

Is that with the engine running?

Radiotwo

No that's with the battery disconnected , i charged it the day before and it read 13.5v ,shouldn't a fully charged battery read 13.8v ?

12.5volts after being left for a while, is not bad.

What is the voltage when the engine is running?

The other thing, what is the voltage when you start the car, if it stays more

that 10.5 volts then should be fine.

Radiotwo

Over 14v with engine running ,looks like i might have a problem elsewhere ,engine light still lit .

Engine temp is rising very quickly and i noticed that the radiator fans arn't running.

Over 14v with engine running ,looks like i might have a problem elsewhere ,engine light still lit .

Engine temp is rising very quickly and i noticed that the radiator fans arn't running.

What you need is Vag-com !

Where are you ?

Radiotwo

You say the temp rises very quickly ! after how many miles, and what does the gauge

get up to?

Radiotwo

hi, your engine light problem could be your altanator either under or over charging. look at the light when your reving the engine to see if it gets brighter, or whip it of and get it checked.

paul.

Just sat on the drive it goes to mid way, so it doesn't over heat but normally it takes quite a while to get to the same point.

Hi Again Bob

Sounds like it could be a Engine Coolant temp sensor, but untill a check is done !

You say it only goes to normal sat on the drive, take it for a run and see what it does then

and as far as getting to that temp so quick it is Summer and the amiant tep is quite warm

so will get hot much quicker in summer.

I was hoping someone would have come along who is a bit closer than me, but give it a 5/10 mile run and see what it does, and report back on here.

If no one closer offers to check it out for you, drop me a PM with your contact details and

I will try and pop over (also let me know when it is conveiniant to come)

Radiotwo

RADIOTWO Thanks for your help and the offer to come round, i have a vag-com cable on its way to me , i will no doubt need more help when i get it.

Hi Bob

Thats fine, drop me a line if you get stuck, just one thing, you say the voltage was over 14Volts, but how much over 14volts ?

Radiotwo

I think it was something like 14.4v , i also have a new battery coming tomorrow so hopefully it will sort one problem out.

The car ran fine to and from work today ,engine light is still lit but a suppose it will until its reset.

I think it was something like 14.4v , i also have a new battery coming tomorrow so hopefully it will sort one problem out.

The car ran fine to and from work today ,engine light is still lit but a suppose it will until its reset.

Hi again

Why did the battery go flat in the first place?

There is nothing wrong with the battery, at that voltage save your self some money

do the checks first, then get the parts needed

Radiotwo

Hi again

Why did the battery go flat in the first place?

I'm a radio ham and i was testing a radio out sat on the drive without the engine running ,i didn't notice anything at first until i used the car again a few days later.

The car started easy enough this morning but when i got to work and stopped the car for about ten mins and started the engine up it really struggled to start ,light and displays were cutting in and out.

I left the engine running for a while after i got it started and it started up ok for the journey home.

Just out of interest i have just checked the voltage on the battery and its down to just over 10v read at the lighter socket, so something is not right with the battery,it seems to be getting the charge but not keeping it very long,it could also be the original battery so is well past its use by date.

I'm a radio ham and i was testing a radio out sat on the drive without the engine running ,i didn't notice anything at first until i used the car again a few days later.

The car started easy enough this morning but when i got to work and stopped the car for about ten mins and started the engine up it really struggled to start ,light and displays were cutting in and out.

I left the engine running for a while after i got it started and it started up ok for the journey home.

Just out of interest i have just checked the voltage on the battery and its down to just over 10v read at the lighter socket, so something is not right with the battery,it seems to be getting the charge but not keeping it very long,it could also be the original battery so is well past its use by date.

You Have a PM :D

Radiotwo

10.53v at the battery, i would say its stuffed, what do you think?

Hi again,

With all what I said on the phone, I may say if it is 8years old then it is poss worth

getting a new one.

Radiotwo

10v at the lighter socket? little low but wouldnt worry about that.

12.5v is a perfectly healthy battery, and 14.4v under load seems like a good charge.

unsure why it would overheat though!! when you said you were testing the radio, does this mean you have fitted a new one? you may have a current draw from the new unit, causing your battery to lose power.

10v at the lighter socket and 10v at the battery ,it didn't stop long at 12.5v, the radio isn't what you think i was transmitting from it when i almost drained the battery.

I'm going to fit a new battery tomorrow so at least i know that will be good.

It didn't actually over heat either ,the needle stopped where it was supposed too.

New battery was fitted today and is working fine, new voltages are 12.7v and 14.2v when running.

The vag com came today but i wasn't in so i'll have to wait 3days before i can collect from the sorting office:rolleyes:.

I have got the vagcom and it comes up with this.

VAG-COM Version: Release 409.1-US

Chassis Type: 6Y - Skoda Fabia

Scan: 01,02,03,08,09,15,17,19,37,44,46,56,69

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 01: Engine

Controller: 047 906 033 C

Component: 1,4l SIMOS3PA 00HSSJ4C

Coding: 00061

Shop #: WSC 13765

TMBNB46Y923419146 SKZ7Z0A1193250

1 Fault Found:

18048 - Internal Contr. Module (EEPROM) Error

P1640 - 35-00 - -

Readiness: 0000 0000

Address 08: Auto HVAC

Controller: 6Y0 820 045

Component: Klimaanlage X0830

No fault code found.

I have got the vagcom and it comes up with this.

VAG-COM Version: Release 409.1-US

Chassis Type: 6Y - Skoda Fabia

Scan: 01,02,03,08,09,15,17,19,37,44,46,56,69

Address 01: Engine

Controller: 047 906 033 C

Component: 1,4l SIMOS3PA 00HSSJ4C

Coding: 00061

Shop #: WSC 13765

TMBNB46Y923419146 SKZ7Z0A1193250

1 Fault Found:

18048 - Internal Contr. Module (EEPROM) Error