Blue coolant in X reg Fabia 1.4 16v

Hi all.

I bought my car from a car dealer about 6 months. Prior to picking up the car they had it serviced. To my horror I have just found out that they used the old blue coolant and not the G12 as indicated by Skoda/VAG. Now, I am not an expert but this sounds like recipe for trouble. Is it really so? Any suggestions on how about resolving this would be greatly appreciated.

G12 turns into a sticky gloop like hair gel if it comes into contact with G10 or G11 coolant. System would need to be totally flushed with running water to make sure all traces of anti freeze flushed out, then refill with G12

Many thanks MoggyTech.

Any ideas on how much it should cost to have the system flushed?

On another note, I just checked again and it seems that coolant in there is blue/green. Am I right in thinking that there is a chance that there could be a leak? If so, is that something that could be easily fixed?

Sounds like they just stuck some carplan **** in there buddy, which would account for the blue/green tinge. Unlikely to be a leak, you'd probably notice oil in the coolant if there was a leak somewhere. G12 is pink. Shouldn't be too much to have the system flushed - will the dealer not do it for you as it was their error and the manual quite clearly states that only G12 should be used.

If you put coolant other than G12 in a moden VAG car it dulls the expansion tank plastic!

I was told this by a VW tech once, not sure how true it is tho my fabia has always had G12 but when I first brought my Arosa it had blue coolant in it and the expansion tank was a brown color!

Sounds like they just stuck some carplan **** in there buddy, which would account for the blue/green tinge. Unlikely to be a leak, you'd probably notice oil in the coolant if there was a leak somewhere. G12 is pink. Shouldn't be too much to have the system flushed - will the dealer not do it for you as it was their error and the manual quite clearly states that only G12 should be used.

It seems that they did so. The funny things is that they claim that G11 is "universal" so it should be absolutely fine, as far as they are concerned. As such they claim they have not done anything wrong. However, if I want to have the system flushed they will do it for me and charge me £60 for it. To be honest, they sound like cowboys so if I am going to pay anyone to do it, it certainly will not be them!

Have you got a local Skoda dealer (hoping it's not the guys in question).. depending on where you are in the country they can be quite reasonable on labour costs and that way you'll KNOW it's the right stuff in there!

It seems that they did so. The funny things is that they claim that G11 is "universal" so it should be absolutely fine, as far as they are concerned. As such they claim they have not done anything wrong. However, if I want to have the system flushed they will do it for me and charge me £60 for it. To be honest, they sound like cowboys so if I am going to pay anyone to do it, it certainly will not be them!

Definitely cowboy outfit. Also, the coolant they used is "not fit for purpose" and you can prove that by simply showing them your car manual. As such, they are required by law, to rectify their incorrect work. £60 my male donkey, FOC or report them to trading standards.

Well, I think MoggyTech's got a point.. you should get the selling garage to do it (if you can, I know myself that this can be intimidating)

In answer to your question, I use the Willis motor group in Ruislip/Eastcoste for parts and small jobs. The fact they own www.skodalondon.com speaks volumes... They aint cheap on the labour though but going rate for main dealer down here.. Think about 70-80ph..... I asked where you are cuz some people have dealers charging as low as 45ph further up the country.

Where abouts are you? There's a place in Harrow I could recommend but they aren't Skoda.

Avoid Marlborough, very in-personal there.

I am near Tower Bridge so probably Sidcup Auto Centre would be my closest. Unfortunately they cannot fix it on a Saturday.

MogyTech,

I completely agree with you but what they are claiming is that they simply topped up what was there before. Obviously there is no way for me to prove them wrong.

Edited by Errika1