Photo hosting - how to start

Xavier

For those who are starting up and not too sure how to host photos, there are many providers that offer photo hosting.

The following are all free to use.

ImageShack� - Image Hosting

Welcome to Flickr - Photo Sharing

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

http://picasaweb.google.com

They also provide URLs to photos so you can then link them in forums. To do that, you can either click on the Insert Image.

595197465_Md3XG-O.png

Or you can just add the image tag yourself, removing the full stop before the first "img". Note you must have the http:// at the beginning for it to work.

[.img]http://www.yourlinktotheimage.com/photo.jpg[/img]

Note though that all of the above do have limitations such as they'll put ads next your photos, or they limit the number of photos or storage space or resolution you can use or they impost monthly bandwidth limits meaning your photos will be only viewable x amount of times (likely a few hundred) before they block it until the beginning of the next month.

For those who don't want any of this, most of the above offer paid-for subscriptions that remove some / all of the limitations :) If you want to go down that route, I'd highly recommend SmugMug Photo Sharing. You look better here.. It's where I host all of my photos and there's no advertising, no bandwidth limits, no photo size limits, etc. If you want one of those, I do have a referral code you can use which will give you $5 off your first year subscription, and a subscription starts at $40 per year ($35 after discount). PM me if you're interested.

Edited by mannyo
updated with new forum layout screenshot

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Nice post, always handy for the newbies, always used photobucket myself, never had any problems with it, and I've got mountains of stuff on there.

need some advice on how to post off photobucket please

need some advice on how to post off photobucket please

Go to the album with the photo you want to post.

Hover over that photo, a drop down box will appear. Right click on either IMG Code or IMG Thumb and copy that text with the img tags in square brackets.

Paste that code into your post :)

Click for full size

853988043_Ga22g-S.jpg

Edited by Xavier

• 1 year later...

Just a quickie - thought I'd better just mention that you can drop fotopic from your list, as they have ceased trading - along with a few hundred of my pics!!!

Don't get me going about those clowns. And the company that allegedly bought the name & servers doing naff all. I use Servimg at the moment, and also Pikfu Beta as I was one of the chosen few. Beginning to lose faith in that now as well