Thule roof bars - which foot pack?

I've got some Thule aero bars and bike racks from my previous car so I was looking at the Thule configurator for foot packs and I can't decide which ones fit the Roomie's roof rails (dealer fitted).

They offer

Thule Rapid Railing 755 - which are the clamping type

or

Thule Rapid Crossroad 775 - which seems to be a rubber strap!

Anyone got any recommendations, the 755 are the most common one.

Since you have a roomy Roomster my recommendation would be to get OEM interior bike rack:

t294195_Img3545.jpg

Very useful and easy to use.

Up to three bikes can fit inside. First remove front wheel, slide the bike in and clamp its front fork on the rack. You'll have two straps. With one strap connect all bikes and attach the ends on the hooks bolted in the floor of the car. The second strap ties up bikes wheels.

You can find out more here:

http://briskoda.net/roomster/can-mountain-bikes-fit-back-roomster/133537/#post1560744

One more thing: You can also fit in two bikes and one back seat, if you have to drive two persons.

Not exactly ideal for a summer holiday though is it?

Perfect if you were a regular mountain biker going off into the wilds at every opportunity, but not ideal when you want to cram as much beer, food, bread maker (yes - on a summer holiday), clothes, waterproofs (did I say I going to Ireland every year) AND family in it.

Roof mounted bike racks are great because you always get priority unloading from ferries because your height means you can't go with the other cars.

IIRC the 775 footpacks tend to be for factory fitted rails which are oversize (ie Nissan Navara, Pathfinder, etc)

It's a while since I had anything to do with them to be honest but the 755's are a lot neater and I'm sure they're both lockable too.

Not sure of the diameter of the Roomy's bars but either should fit.

Might be worth double checking your Aero bars are going to be long enough for your current car too as they come in about 4 different lengths.

HTH ;)

I have a very old pair of Thule roof bars with rail clamps that came with a second-hand roof box. I think they were originally on an old Mercedes estate car. Anyway, they fit the Roomy rails so I think all the "normal" roof rails are fairly standard profile.

They wouldn't fit on my daughter's Voyager but that has wide flat rails, I don't think those are very common.

Not exactly ideal for a summer holiday though is it?

:)

Please take a look at this pic:

9tg3ef_thumb.jpg

Perfect if you were a regular mountain biker going off into the wilds at every opportunity, but not ideal when you want to cram as much beer, food, bread maker (yes - on a summer holiday), clothes, waterproofs (did I say I going to Ireland every year) AND family in it.

And these pics as well, sorry for the quality though (only 2Mpx):

dm40dr_thumb.jpg

0spxjtw_thumb.jpg

You are looking at more than 60 kilos of stuff. :)

djsizty_thumb.jpg

rsbepfw_thumb.jpgI would personally mount Thule box on the top and bikes inside. Box is more aerodynamic which is an issue since Roomy itself is rather high and has large front profile.

Of course, this setup was only for my girlfriend and myself. No rear seat passengers. :)

:)

Please take a look at this pic:

9tg3ef_thumb.jpg

And these pics as well, sorry for the quality though (only 2Mpx):

dm40dr_thumb.jpg

0spxjtw_thumb.jpg

You are looking at more than 60 kilos of stuff. :)

djsizty_thumb.jpg

rsbepfw_thumb.jpgI would personally mount Thule box on the top and bikes inside. Box is more aerodynamic which is an issue since Roomy itself is rather high and has large front profile.

Of course, this setup was only for my girlfriend and myself. No rear seat passengers. :)

I couldn't have got the bikes in on this year's holiday. rear seats all folded and car was still full.

I couldn't have got the bikes in on this year's holiday. rear seats all folded and car was still full.

I completely removed the rear seats and packed the stuff in between the bikes, in nooks and crannies. Looked really awful :) but was efficient enough.

I use the Thule bars and clamps that I kept off my Audi A6 avant when I sold it - don't know what part number they are but they fit perfect on the Roomster - they are the sort that clamp onto the roof rails and you tighten them by turning a spindle which is part of the lock.

Carries 4 bikes perfectly OK but knocks a hole in the fuel consumption if you want to go quickly.

HTH