DSG + Caravan + Towing, Any Good?

Hi all,

I’m looking into the possibility of getting a small to medium size caravan next year. I would welcome any feedback or experiences, both positive and negative about towing with my 1.9PD DSG Estate. I have only ever towed with a manual. Thanks for you remarks in advance. :thumbup:

Ray

I have read towing tests of various Superb's and Octavia's with DSG in the caravan press. Lately it hasn't had good press, the testers feeling its slow to react etc. BUT actual owners always come back and say it's great and it tows well.

Never towed with, or even driven a DSG myself.

My dad has just changed to a Jaguar XF TD with an auto box, he has been towing now for 45 years and this is his first auto ... he loves it!

Ray I have had a 1.9PD DSG Estate for over 3 years now, and use it to tow a 12foot (1 ton laden) caravan. The outfit tows very well, and the transmission seems to make all the correct judgements.

The towing electrics (and the removable towbar) were original dealer fit - and Skoda parts. I think this may tell the engine/transmission computer system when the caravan is attached - and perhaps changes the program to suit (guesswork).

Cheers, Mike.

I am on my second 2.0 tdi dsg octavia and have towed with both and have had no problems at all. The gearbox takes all the strain out of towing in my opinion. Just remember on a steep hill use the sport setting of the gearbox. Hopes this helps

hey there....

I have never towed a caravan but I have towed a large car transporting trailer. I found it was spot on for hills and even around town it was never any problem. Even so when I had a large car on the trailer I found that getting up to speed was hard on the motorway with a105 BHP engine. I have now got a 140 DSG engine and it is much better. I think this was due to the power of the engine rather than the gearbox.