Octavia Brakes 36k miles

All During my 4 year, 40k services, it was recommended to get front and rear brakes done.

I knew about fronts needing done, as was recommended last year, glad they made it another year!

But rears was a bit of a suprise. they said could last another few thousand, but i got done all at once

1) is it a bit early for rear brakes needing done at 36k miles?

2) New front disks, pads, rear disks pads and labour etc, cost 500. is that a decent price??

Just looking for thoughts

Ta

ps cam belt timing was also recommended due to its schedule, but as this plus air pump would have taken total bill well over 1k, i getting it done in 6 months. sure that be ok?

£500 is expensive for pads & discs all round,i replaced mine (fitted them myself) for £150.i would get the cambelt replaced if its over 4 years old,new water pump & tensioners etc too! if it snaps the damage to the engine will be costly to repair.:thumbup:

I hear what you saying, but i think 36k 4 years far too early for a timing belt change.

No need to worry, in Finland, the official recomendation for a vRS cambelt change is 180k km, i.e. about 110k miles, although I will personally do mine at the 90k km (55k mile) service just to be safe.

In the UK, the cambelt change is 60K miles OR 4 years whichever occurs first. We have had this debate many times regarding intervals on the cambelt.

The cambelt condition is determined not only by mileage, but the materials its made from can perish over a period of time causing the belt to snap.

Dont forget its also recommended on here to get the water pump changed at the same time as belt, as the plastic impellers are prone to break apart regardless of mileage. Hopefully you had yours changed, otherwise the whole lot is going to have to come apart again for a new pump in the near future. We have seen many pumps fail, some with high mileage and others with as little as 20K miles on them, the pump seems to be related to how long the plastic has been exposed to the coolant.

on my vRS it cost me £250 in parts alone to do the front and rear discs and pads. Add in labour and I can't see it being too far off the £500 you were charged

edit: this was a full set of non OE parts made up of ATE discs and pads, apart from the rear pads which were genuine skoda parts