sub and amp mounting

depends if like me u use your boot for putting and carrying things. i took out my autochanger and shoved the sub there. amp is the other side. otherwise you could jus build somit really cool in the space, 2 subs behind seats and amps in the floor. up to you at end of the day mate.

Half the reason for buying my Octy was the massive boot, so I would hate to waste any space in there. I would suggest the same as REH17, try down the sides where the CD changer is. I am sure that someone on here mounted a small PC in there....

Hope Rob don't mind me putting this up, but check the link in his signature, Clubley.org on there is a link to his Skoda website, and on there he's done a guide for ICE install. Very good it is too :)

Pics are fab but one question why a pc?

I think the purpose of the PC is:

media server

sat fav

incar vag-com

Generally one swaps out the head unit for a flip-out display and then you use a b/t or wireless keyboard to control it.

I keep thinking a little incar PC would be greate, but it is hard to find anything with a serial port, as I only have limited success with USB based vagcom cables :(

my sub is mounted on the cd changer bracket. had to custom fit it to the sub box an do a bit of a bodging here and there. only trouble is that to remove it or access the back, u have to remove the sub cone itself, slip a spanner behind the box and fiddle about. will try put a pic up in a sec, u can fit a 12 inch sub there but ud have to make ur own shallow box :)

26042009065.jpg

26042009071.jpg

bear in mind I havent finished yet and the amp is now the other side of the boot. But I am going to replace it with a 3 / 4 channel monster to power up some rear speakers and the sub. BOOM! any questions welcome. I cant find a pic of the bracket bodge I did Im affraid so will have to wait till I carpet the box.

Hope Rob don't mind me putting this up, but check the link in his signature, Clubley.org on there is a link to his Skoda website, and on there he's done a guide for ICE install. Very good it is too :)

No problem at all :)

Here's a direct link to the ICE section:

Pimp My Skoda!

Rob, how well does that Alpine sub work? I need the boot space so a traditional sub is too big but the lack of bass in the car is really bugging me.

Cheers,

iep

It doesn't give massive bass but it does fill in a bit. It's designed to go under the seats in sports cars but in the Octy there's a big metal bar that stops you fitting it there.

I've had a Blaupunkt in my estate for about a year. It's made a huge improvement to the sound quality at "normal" volume, the bass is quite tight and controlled (I have an Alpine head unit as well). As stated, it isn't hugely powerful, but I find it plenty loud enough.

Anyone know how much power you can safely drag out of the lighter socket in the boot? Would save me running a couple of cables if I could use it to power one of these slimline subs (the blaupunkt only needs 10A I think).

Cheers,

iep

Not sure, I know my mains inverter struggled with larger load devices when running from the boot, but was fine when clipped straight onto the battery.

Iep, I couldnt tell you how much power is running to the rear boot plug, but its def not enoug to handle the power you will need. To run amps you need to run a larger power cable for this, really i would suggest a proper am wiring kit, can be found cheap on ebay with a distribution block to split power to the respective amps.

You will need to run preouts from your stereo to your amps anyway so will have to do some rerouting of wiring whatever.

Chunky

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fli-4-GAUGE-Wiring-Kit-for-amp-sub-AK4_W0QQitemZ290324697086QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Terminals_Cabling_ET?hash=item4398b34ffe&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

less chunky

1200W Complete Amplifier/AMP Wiring Kit 8 Gauge 60AMP on eBay (end time 24-Aug-09 22:45:33 BST)

or slightly less thick

BOSS 1000W WATT 10 AWG GAUGE CAR AMP WIRING WIRES KIT on eBay (end time 27-Aug-09 18:09:32 BST)

Edited by sweedish

Cheers Sweedish. I agree that a proper amp and sub installation would need dedicated cabling (the rig in my VR6 used to make the headlights dim!). However, these wee blaupunkt or Clarion units only draw 10A peak so I wonder if the 12V socket might be enough.

In fairness though, I'd still have to route the phono lead so I guess i might as well run dedicated power anyway.

iep

Bought the blaupunkt thb 200a! Hopefully get it fitted this weekend. I'll let you know how it sounds.

Rob, at 35cm by 25cm by 7cm, do you reckon there is any chance of it fitting it in the rear cubby where the CD changer currently resides ( I know you tried toput a PC in there once).

Cheers,

iep

Cheers Rob. Had a bash this afternoon and it fits in with plenty of space to spare. TBH, it doesn't take up much more space than the CD changer that used to live there!

For now, I have just wedged it in with a load of packing foam but it seems so secure I might just leave it like that.

Sound wise, I'm quite impressed. MUCH louder and richer sounding than I was expecting. I reckon the 210a might sound a little less 'boxy' but I wouldn't have been able to get it into the side pocket and this is a minor complaint when you look at the price and practicality of the sub. Need to have a fiddle to get it nicley integrated with the rest of the speakers but all in, I'm very happy (not far off being as good as my old twin 10" install!!!).

Thanks again for all the useful info on pimpmyskoda Rob. Just need to get my RARB fitted next weekend and I'll be close to having my replica RobClubley signature vRS ;)

Cheers,

iep