Bonnet wont open (stuck shut)

On my 2002 Skoda Octavia mk1.

Any help appreciated! The bonnet release catch works fine, there is a normal clunk and normal tension in the cable.

The bonnet then lifts as normal an inch, the orange release lever moves to the side as normal to allow the bonnet up.

the bonnet then lifts up another 2 inches (so now some 3 inches up in total).

but then it gets stuck. the bonnet just wont actually open or lift up any more, like its being blocked by something in the release mechanism.

the orange lever moves a normal distance, the catch does release initially, but not at the very top of the movement.

the bonnet can lock, with a firm palm push down.

what could be blocking it from opening at the last moment?!

Edited by Gunswick

Could be catching on the upper lip of the catch hole, have you tried easing it to the left/right to see if it will come free. or front to back maybe. if you do get it free it will need adjusting to prevent it happening in the future. :thumbup:

the cable has tension if that is what you mean? the cable definately releases ok. its the orange lever that seems to be playing up.

but it does move freely and does allow the bonnet further up by moving it sideways. the bonnet just doesnt quite clear the catch.

i will try moving the bonnet / orange lever with a screwdriver to see if i can jiggle it free.

does anyone have any photos of the bonnet catch, so i can get a better idea of how it works?